• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

"Wrong-Way" Pairs

LGreene

I asked about this a looooong time ago (2014) and since I'm still getting questions on it I figured I check in with y'all again. Most double-egress pairs of doors are installed so that they follow the natural traffic flow, but sometimes they are installed so the doors are swinging against the corridor traffic. Do any of you have an objection to this, or some criteria that you use to decide whether it's acceptable or not (ie. occupant load, occupancy type, etc.)?

Here's some more info (with graphics in case you're not clear on what I'm describing): http://idighardware.com/2017/05/qq-required-swing-of-double-egress-pairs/

Not written in the code cannot do it.

I am wondering if it is written in the code to not allow it, if there would be a situation that could cause a problem

I have only seen it once, and I think it was missed on plan review

The codes don't say whether the doors have to swing a certain way. If it was a situation where doors had to swing in the direction of egress, there is still a door that swings in the direction of egress, it's just not on your right as you're going down the corridor. If it's not a location where the door has to swing in the direction of egress, maybe it's even less of an issue. Also - these doors are usually held open on magnetic holders until the fire alarm is actuated.

in Canada: 3.3.1.11.
4) If a pair of doors is installed in a corridor that provides access to exit in both
directions, the doors shall swing in opposite directions, with the door on the right
hand side swinging in the direction of travel to the exit.

4) If a pair of doors is installed in a corridor that provides access to exit in both
directions, the doors shall swing in opposite directions, with the door on the right

Viva Canada!!! They got it right

That's exactly what I was looking for! What's the name of the code and which edition?

Usually seen in smoke barriers and horizontal exits and in I-2 occ. Door swing is not regulated in these. The I-2 occ. has staff supervision of patients and are trained in routine drills required by IFC

2009 IBC 1008.1.2 Door swing.
Egress doors shall be of the pivoted or side-hinged swinging type.
Exceptions:
1. Private garages, office areas, factory and storage areas with an occupant load of 10 or less.
2. Group I-3 occupancies used as a place of detention.
3. Critical or intensive care patient rooms within suites of health care facilities.
4. Doors within or serving a single dwelling unit in Groups R-2 and R-3.
5. In other than Group H occupancies, revolving doors complying with Section 1008.1.4.1.
6. In other than Group H occupancies, horizontal sliding doors complying with Section 1008.1.4.3 are permitted in a means of egress .
7. Power-operated doors in accordance with Section 1008.1.4.2.
8. Doors serving a bathroom within an individual sleeping unit in Group R-1.
9. In other than Group H occupancies, manually operated horizontal sliding doors are permitted in a means of egress from spaces with an occupant load of 10 or less.
Doors shall swing in the direction of egress travel where serving an occupant load of 50 or more persons or a Group H occupancy.

Found it as far back as 1980 NBCC. Not sure if it goes back further, thats the earliest I have.

NBC codes have no free online access. If you just want that page let me know and I'll send it to you.