• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

A-2/R-3 Remodel IEBC Level 2 Remodel

nitramnaed

Sawhorse
I hope this hasn't been covered previously, I page through the thread to check.

I have an existing building A2 on the first floor with R3 on the second floor. We are proposing no occupancy change and have determined that we are at a Level 2 alteration. It's 3300 square feet per floor with a half basement.
The existing A2 was, for the lack of a better term, a gentlemen's club. We are remodeling it into a new restaurant space. and leaving the apartments above unaltered.
We are adding a sprinkler system to the restaurant and to the R3 occupancies. This was triggered by the occupancy being over 100 in the restaurant space.
The owner wants to keep the original tin ceiling through-out the dining and bar area. Right now it just attached to the floor joist of the second floor. So my question is per the IEBC do we need to provide a horizontal separation between the A2 and the R3? I't's not clear as to what we need to provide, if any.

Thanks for the help!

Are you sure it is not a Change of Occupancy as defined in the IEBC

CHANGE OF OCCUPANCY. A change in the purpose or level of activity within a building that involves a change in application of the requirements of this code.

2012 IEBC

1001.2 Change in occupancy with no change of occupancy classification. A change in occupancy, as defined in Section 202, with no change of occupancy classification shall not be made to any structure that will subject the structure to any special provisions of the applicable International Codes, including the provisions of Sections 1002 through 1011, without the approval of the code official. A certificate of occupancy shall be issued where it has been determined that the requirements for the change in occupancy have been met.

Special provisions would be a change of occupancy without a change of classification i.e. an existing A-2 increases the occupant load in reference to IBC section 903.2.1.1 the installation of a sprinkler system is a "special provision" that would be required for the change of occupancy to occur.

Whereas bathrooms in the restaurant that currently do not meet accessibility requirements are not occupant load based and could not be enforced as special provision requirements.

2015 IEBC
1001.2 Certificate of occupancy.
A change of occupancy or a change of occupancy within a space where there is a different fire protection system threshold requirement in Chapter 9 of the International Building Code shall not be made to any structure without the approval of the code official. A certificate of occupancy shall be issued where it has been determined that the requirements of the change of occupancy have been met.

Definition
Work Area
. Commentary “The key is that the definition states that the work area consist of “reconfigured spaces.” Installing sprinklers or upgrading a structural element typically does not reconfigure a space.

So my question is per the IEBC do we need to provide a horizontal separation between the A2 and the R3? I't's not clear as to what we need to provide, if any.

Thanks for the help!

Existing buildings that have a certificate of occupancy falls under the property maintenance code if adopted.

The IEBC applies is where alterations or a change of occupancy is proposed under one of the 4 methods chosen in Chapter 3