• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Combustion air

Thomas Nabors

Ok let me start off by saying i have taken the 2015 M3 exam twice with the last time only failing
by 1 question (Still i Failed). So I'm going to thake the 2012 M3 exam fri. I guess my major flaw
is combustion air calculations. Is there a difference if an appliance is located on the inside
drawing air from the outside? And the outside combustion calculation from the IFGC says that
it can either be vertical or horizontal duct. How to you calculate it if the exam question doesn't
tell you if its vertical or horizontal, and for either one opening or two? And how do you calculate
Gas demand? i know i'm new to this, but having a hard time getting help on this since i work for
a small jurisdiction and it's just me and the CBO

Sorry I just do nail salons

Your question, have no knowledge of

Someone will post

Maybe do not read into the question?

Or do the calculations backwards ????
You have four answers

Reverse engineer them and see if it is close to the question

Great thing about math you can move stuff around

you are right but icc does it to where the answers line up to all 4 possible answers using the 4 calculation formulas. Just knowing which formula to use is key, so its kind of hard to make an educated guess at it

no the test i took yesterday had about 6 or so combustion air calculation questions. The exam bulletin said combustion air made up 25% of the exam. This is the first exam i have had to take more than twice

It is an M3 exam the information should be on the plans for 1 or 2 openings along with
\vertical or horizontal ducts I suggest you slow down when reading a calculation question.
Also the infiltration rate should be on the plans and if not less than 0.40 you cannot use
304.5.2. ICC puts a lot of useless information within a question on their exams. Read
through the junk and good luck

It is an M3 exam the information should be on
the plans for 1 or 2 openings along with vertical or horizontal ducts I suggest you slow down
when reading a calculation question. Also the infiltration rate should be on the plans and if not less
than .40 you cannot use 304.5.2. ICC puts a lot of useless information within a question on their
exams. Read through the junk and good luck

Thank you mtlogcabin. I wish the M3 exam consisted of more plans but i can only remember
about 4 or so questions where they gave you a drawing to look at. The rest were word problems