• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New CBO exams

= & = & =

fatboy,

I agree with you !.........I am 3 certs. away from the MCP and have

determined that it is not worth the costs & hassle to obtain it. :p

= & = & =

I also like to study for my own self-improvement and education. I take 2012 Residential plan examiner and Building plan examiner test, and 2012 CBO-MM, MG, and BC test, luckily I pass them all.

I also like to study for my own self-improvement and education. I take 2012 Residential plan examiner and Building plan examiner test, and 2012 CBO-MM, MG, and BC test, luckily I pass them all.

Do you have any study guides?

I signed up for Legal exam a while back. Taking it on Friday morning. I think i'm ready. Next is Management test, then the Building portion.The company I bought the study practice exams through told me today that the passing % nation wide for the building codes portion is 30%. Instead of changing the test, they are switching the amount of times you can test in a 6 month period from 2 to 6 (effective July 1)..So basically you can take the same test 6 times in a 6 month period. There is a good number of people upset about the new test. 80 questions out of 7 different code books with a 120 minute timer is BEAR of a test despite how well versed you are or how much studying you've done..Should be a fun journey. Good luck to all testing.

30% just does not sound right! Not doubting what you were told, but I do know that at that low level staff and now the PDC which used to be BIPS would know that something is wrong and would address the problem(s). Thoughts?

30% just does not sound right! Not doubting what you were told, but I do know that at that low level staff and now the PDC which used to be BIPS would know that something is wrong and would address the problem(s). Thoughts?

I totally agree! It sounds hard to believe..

The company selling you a study guide said that passing the test was hard? Imagine that...

I'm guessing the test is (rightly) difficult, but if only 30% of participants are passing it then I'd think ICC would already be working on that.

I signed up for Legal exam a while back. Taking it on Friday morning. I think i'm ready. Next is Management test, then the Building portion.The company I bought the study practice exams through told me today that the passing % nation wide for the building codes portion is 30%. Instead of changing the test, they are switching the amount of times you can test in a 6 month period from 2 to 6 (effective July 1)..So basically you can take the same test 6 times in a 6 month period. There is a good number of people upset about the new test. 80 questions out of 7 different code books with a 120 minute timer is BEAR of a test despite how well versed you are or how much studying you've done..Should be a fun journey. Good luck to all testing.[/QUOTE

How did you do? What is a good prep?

Does any one know what books for each exam, I have just got all my CERTS except for the E2 and E3. I'm going to start on my CBO shortly and after reading this thread i discovered that now i have to take the MM, MG, BC instead of me just having my C8 and taking the 01 legal. This was heartbreaking and now im very frustrated. This seems a way for ICC to make more profit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Any tips?

Yes! First off, Sorry for the late reply, i'm in the middle of studying for my Management module and have neglected the forum. The best tip I can give you is to use a study guide that mimics the actual test. I've used ICC Campus and was severely disappointed. I didn't feel that it prepped me well at all. It was also very discouraging to find 15+ errors on the practice exams. This was back in 2014 so I would imagine they have improved, nonetheless it's hard for me to give them money for that anymore.. The program I'm using now is England Training Center. Not taking the classes but just buying the study exams. I will PM you some of my contact info and you can give me a call if you want. There is some strategy to using only the practice exams

Does any one know what books for each exam, I have just got all my CERTS except for the E2 and E3. I'm going to start on my CBO shortly and after reading this thread i discovered that now i have to take the MM, MG, BC instead of me just having my C8 and taking the 01 legal. This was heartbreaking and now im very frustrated. This seems a way for ICC to make more profit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Copy and paste the link below, scroll down to pages 24-28 for the books required

https://www.iccsafe.org/wp-content/uploads/National_Certification_EIB-CBT.pdf

UPDATE: Passed Management Module June 1st. Going to sign up for Building Codes and Standards for end of July. Getting closer. Again, the only study material I used was the practice exams. Best of luck to all testing.

-Tony