• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Perk Test - Minutes Per Inch (MPI)

While attempting to determine the rate of absorption, I dug nine holes and filled them with water. I am told that a value greater than 60 MPI is cause for concern. If my MPI is based on the four hour measurements, I have 10 MPI - which is good. Obviously the absorption rate slows after the soil surrounding the hole becomes saturated after 24 hours. So what length of time should I be using?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qiqeogrikw2bp66/PercolationTest.pdf?dl=0

Thanks again!

ICC Certified Plan Reviewer
NFPA Certified Fire Plan Examiner

Thanks CDA. Somehow I found that same reference before I started and I could recall some of the information.
My results are dubious. If the first four hours are considered pre-soaking the holes and the last twenty hours are divided by the drop in water level, then I am stuck with 203 minutes per inch. The results would suggest that my soil is non-absorbent and I am reluctant to expect that any length / size of drainage field will be adequate.

Maybe talk to a septic company in that area to see what they think or normally encounter

Especially if new systems are set all the time