• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire pump

jtom

Sawhorse
What code requires a fire pump flow switch to be installed after the control valve on a fire pump riser?I assume it is done this way for maintenance.Any code sections would be appreciated.

Ok there are a lot of valves when there is a fire pump set up

A little more detail ??

Each sprinkler riser will have one

So I cannot remember if one is needed on the discharge side or not.

Will try to look at the book later today

Last edited:
What code requires a fire pump flow switch to be installed after the control valve on a fire pump riser?I assume it is done this way for maintenance.Any code sections would be appreciated.

Do you want to restate your question

Or add or define some of the terms you use.

Did not look at the book yet

I am thinking

a. when ever the pump runs you will get a pump run condition, even without water flowing.

b. each riser will have a flow indicator, so that will tell water flow and which riser is flowing

c. standpipe may be the only one with out a flow, depending on how it is set up

I believe

Insurance Engineer

Is the resident fire pump expert

You might private mail him

Fire pump flow switch??? Most times the fire pump, if automatic starting, comes on via drop in water pressure. Perhaps explain what you have and will try to help.