• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Magnesium-oxide panels

Ronald J. Ray

Does ICC 2015 directly address magnesium-oxide sheathing panels, or is ICC AC386 the only method of gaining building code acceptance for this product?

Thanks.

Ron

The product has been around for a long time....There shouldn’t be an acceptance issue.

There's a ESR-2880 report, would this be of help? Or is this total different?

I have that ES report. It is for one manufacturer who's products are made in China. That product is clearly acceptable because the ES report is based on AC386. I can find two products that do not have a ES report. That is why I asked if there was another method of gaining acceptance under IBC 2015.

Do they burn like Magnesium?
I am not sure if the number of years in a marketplace is directly related to building code acceptance.
Actually my thought was that given the time frame, magnesium-oxide products have been down the acceptance road. In as much as you have found one product that has and two that haven't I suspect that I have it wrong. Perhaps UL or ETL have a list of accepted products in that category.

There is apparently many choices for many applications from many manufacturers.