• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mixed Occupancy s1/B

DuaneW

I am looking at a new plan and this company wants to build a building that will be a mixed occupancy. They say it will be S/1- B occupancy. The S1 is going to have 6000 Sq Foot area and the B part is going to be 4000 Sq foot with 4000 Sq Foot 2nd Level. I when I look at it the Fire area is going to be a total of 14,000 Sq Foot.
The B/O want me to provide argument, that they need a sprinkler. Oh the kicker is there is no fire wall between the two parts. He is in the mindset he wants to set them at S-2 / B that way they would need a min of 2 hour wall instead of a 3 hour wall. The problem that I am having is ICC does not deal much with Class B for offices.
I am looking to see what other people would think about this.

They ought to get rid of S-2!!! code change code change

Yea label it a S-2 and you walk in and the place is full of tires, or similar burnable stuff.

I forgot when doing a building like this you don't count the B and you have to build to the S-1. You would only count the B in the Fire load area. And under S-1 you would have to sprinkler no mater what they did. There only option, not to add a sprinkler would to move to S-2 and make sure there is no over night parking in the building, and put in a 2 hour fire wall.

They ought to get rid of S-2!!! code change code change

Yea label it a S-2 and you walk in and the place is full of tires, or similar burnable stuff.
This building is going to be used to repair windmill towers.

If they meet the code without a fire sprinkler system,,,

They meet the code........

Period

Repair would fall into an F-1 same issues for sprinkler and fire area.
707.3.10 requires a 3 hour fire barrier separation

I have to agree, there is no way that I'd go for an S type occupancy. Per 306.1, F occupancies are structures or portion thereof used for "...assembling, disassembling, fabricating, finishing, manufacturing, packaging, repair or processing operations that are not classified as a..." group H or S. This has to be an F-1; see 306.2 - Machinery and Metals are all called out under F-1.

Might be S1/F1/B.....Depending on how much storage....Not that it should matter much as the requirements are not much different....(F and S anyway)