• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Single service sink requirement?

ecatellier

A footnote within the IBC Commentary for Chapter 29 states that "the code only requires one service sink per building if all occupancies have access to the service sink at all times." That's great... but I cannot find this language in the actual code. I don't see anything about this in the IPC either. Can anyone point me to the section/paragraph where the code states this? TIA.

My project has Business, Mercantile and Storage (all over 15 occupants)... but the commentary footnote in question is not specific to a particular occupancy. The Sample Problem where this footnote appears is referenced has Business, Library and Storage, all over 15 occupants.

I've seen/heard folks reference this footnote before, but I cannot locate it in the actual code. I'd like to notate a code section for this on my project cover sheet, but I can't find one.

commentaries are just that, commentaries/clarifications but not typically enforceable. (read the disclaimer at the beginning of the book)
Check with you local AHJ?

See... that's the thing... this is the official commentary that is published by the ICC.
This footnote says: "The code requires..."
The footnote is referring to the IBC, but it doesn't state where this info comes from within the IBC.

AHJ doesn't know either...

AHJ will obviously only enforce what's written in the code.
Owner would prefer to limit the need for additional plumbing.
Hoping one of y'all can help me find this in the code.

If I read correctly, P2902.2 indicates under the exception that separate facilities are not required in a merchantile when the occupant load is less than 100. I guess I would read this as only 1 service sink is required.

(IBC and IPC) Minimum number of fixtures. Plumbing fixtures shall be provided for the type of occupancy and in the minimum number shown in Table (2902.1 or 403.1)

[A] OCCUPANCY. The purpose for which a building or portion thereof is utilized or occupied.

Inspector -
I'm pretty sure that the "separate facilities" section refers to separate facilities for men and separate facilities for women.
Only one service sink would be required for the mercantile space... but I'm trying to avoid having one service sink required for each of three different occupancies. This note says one one is required for the building... I need a code section reference to make it official.

Francis -
Not sure what you're getting at...

No. It's a truck dealership.
Business (offices)
Mercantile (parts sales)
Storage (S-1 repair garage)

Guys... the type of building I'm designing really has nothing to do with my question.
Here is my question:
Where is the code section that says you only need one service sink if all occupancies can access it?

"Plumbing fixtures (at least one service sink) shall be provided for the type of occupancy (or for the purpose of the building in accordance to the occupancy definition) and in the minimum number shown in Table"

The language implies intent of the commentary interpretation in my opinion.

[A] 104.1 General. The building official is hereby authorized and directed to enforce the provisions of this code. The building official shall have the authority to render interpretations of this code and to adopt policies and procedures in order to clarify the application of its provisions. Such interpretations, policies and procedures shall be in compliance with the intent and purpose of this code. Such policies and procedures shall not have the effect of waiving requirements specifically provided for in this code.

No. It's a truck dealership.
Business (offices)
Mercantile (parts sales)
Storage (S-1 repair garage)

Guys... the type of building I'm designing really has nothing to do with my question.
Here is my question:
Where is the code section that says you only need one service sink if all occupancies can access it?

If you can make a link out of the commentary example, and post the link

Might help.

Which year commentary are you looking at???

Francis -
If you read the table in the code, it will require me to have 3 service sinks... one per the business occupancy, one per the mercantile occupancy and one per the storage occupancy. That is how all of the other plumbing fixture requirements are calculated... you calculate them separately based on the table, then add them up for your building.

The commentary, though, is telling me that I only need one sink.
I would like to justify that based on the actual code.

My 2000 and 2003 IBC Commentary does not have that note. I do not have a 2006, 2012 or 2015 Commentary to view.

But I see your issue.