• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

I too wondered about that. Walls 6, 7 and 8 are different than the first five. I took the picture from my ride and didn’t get a side view. I tried to return and drop a violation notice but it’s a gated community and now my gate code has ceased to function. Oh well, there are other jobs going on in the neighborhood and I’ll get in soon or later. By the look of it, too late may have come and gone.

Last edited:
Are some of those walls in #2661 running at a diagonal, or are they just way out of level?
I thought the same thing when I 1st looked at it but looking at it again it looks like the same amount of the block in the layer above shows for each layer. Maybe it's because of shadows or dampness in the blocks?

I've not seen this type of wall before. It looks like interlocking blocks of concrete. Shirley there must be more to the

39850824640_7975d4fcf5_b.jpg

39850825850_70c4a99c26_b.jpg

26790263357_41c5453282_b.jpg

Last edited:
I've not seen this type of wall before. It looks like interlocking blocks of concrete. Shirley there must be more to the story.

Tall and vertical.
We have those all over the place around here in Kentucky. Almost any retaining wall associated with a Interstate has that type of wall. I have yet to see 1 of them bulging or leaning at all so they must be very stable.

Here's a website talking about their use: http://www.trulinecivil.com/projects/?product_id=30

Reactions: ICE
The office called and asked me to swing by this house and drop a stop work due to no permit. They're gonna need a lot more than a permit.

26879526747_0501f3e165_b.jpg

26879526987_31e8b6f3d1_b.jpg

Last edited:
The job is an addition of a dwelling unit. It will be attached to the existing dwelling. An inspector wrote a correction to install a "construction fence", provide a portable toilet, and implement BMPs per the Health and Safety Code. BMPs are best management practices. That includes sandbags. Well they almost did all of that.

All of the construction is at the right of the dwelling and the fence stops at each side of the driveway. Obviously they have not been given those corrections before now. I'm not convinced that they should have gotten the corrections this time. But hey now, the inspector that wrote the correction has way more experience that myself.

I like the toilet...around 10:30 the third cup of coffee is looking for a new home. Then I can get down to the business of inspecting. I noticed the crooked form work from my truck but I stopped for the toilet. So the garage wall will be straight because they had a blue room.

Attachments

• 40882271585_64fb65204b_b.jpg
    40882271585_64fb65204b_b.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 40883040595_ed03f7b637_b.jpg
    40883040595_ed03f7b637_b.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 40882268935_094a56f55a_b.jpg
    40882268935_094a56f55a_b.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 40882270015_e3e774948e_b.jpg
    40882270015_e3e774948e_b.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I can now say I have seen every possible mistake on a service upgrade.

41096637264_9b75437cbf_b.jpg

40914973495_852d5de562_b.jpg

Last edited:
That is scary! Considering the fact there is no overcurrent protection on the SE conductors it's a recipe for disaster, & most panels are be used for either OH & UG service.

The panel is now in my opinion scrap metal there is no proper repair, only replacement since turning it to the proper orientation still won't fix it because of the hack shown in the photo.

Mark, panel is upside down, green wire at the top right exiting upside down panel.

SE, jacket has been abused.

Also look there's the torque settings listed in the back of the panel.

I think moisture can enter through the top at the knock-out.

Mark, panel is upside down, green wire at the top right exiting upside down panel.

SE, jacket has been abused.

Also look there's the torque settings listed in the back of the panel.

I think moisture can enter through the top at the knock-out.
I saw the damage, i did not know if picture was flipped or if panel is upside down.

The panel is upside down, the rain shields have been rendered useless making the NEMA type 3R panel into a handy hacked NEMA type 1 enclosure installed outdoors.

The contractor used 3X6 plate for the exterior. He ripped 3x6 down to 3x4 for the interior walls. I am not concerned with the grade of the lumber being altered.

The lumber has been pressure treated. The best I ever see when it comes to penetration of the preservative is 1/4”. That is why the code requires that cut ends of PT be painted with preservative.

In this case you can see that the preservative appears to be superficial and the cut edge has no treatment at all. This occurs at interior walls only. Painting the bare wood with preservative is not an option due to the long term odor. Trust me on that. So indoors and not subject to water…..what do you think.
As a side note, the lack of any apparent penetration of preservative causes me to wonder if this sampling is suspect.

41814878812_732402822f_b.jpg

40958961415_f104728951_b.jpg

40958962895_2b6d4a2aa8_b.jpg

Last edited:
My opinion, for what it's worth, is that pressure treated wood is worthless, every variant, and there have been several, has had it's problems, I refuse to use it and use clear heart redwood, foundation grade is no-longer milled and it's a shame to use beautiful clear heart redwood when nobody will ever see it. You are right, just painting perservative on the ends or sides is useless, water sill seep in and rot it out.

I do remember your Cuprinol or whatever it was story...Field treatment just made it into our code last year....Can they slip plastic under it?

3. Sills and sleepers on a concrete or masonry slab that is
in direct contact with the ground unless separated from
such slab by an impervious moisture barrier.

If is an interior plate does not need to be treated, IMO
Code would allow untreated lumber if there is an impervious moisture barrier between the slab and wood. In this case there is a treated side against the concrete and I have concluded that code does not require the other sides to be treated as would be the case if a moisture barrier was installed. R317.1(3)

Besides that, termites gotta eat too.

Last edited:
R317.3.1 Exception (3)

Here we are told that fasteners used with zinc borate and sbx/dot preservatives need not be corrosion resistant if the location is dry interior. So is a mud sill a dry interior location? Theroreticly there should not be water present and the location is behind cladding of some sort.

Last edited:
The job is an electrical service upgrade and this is the service entrance conduit. Sun glare prevented me from seeing clearly. It appears as though there is no roof jack. So I wrote a correction to install a roof jack. Shirley seeing clearly in a picture makes a difference.
So now the correction will change to “install the roof jack correctly”.

40976311055_1d8d4c603a_b.jpg

Last edited:
ICE, What is that roof product?

Does not look like the seams line up. Are you using some kinda special camera lens to enhance your photo's?

conarb, What's the guesstimated weight per SF on that product in the photo?

Meant to say the seams are crooked, I'm aware you would not want the seams lined up.