• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Height of fire alarm

I have the same question for the same kind of place. 2007 NFPA says the strobe alarms are to be between 80 and 96 inches. Many places in this building they would not to be visible at these heights. Is there a section in this code that let's you have them somewhere else? Would you still need the strobe between 80 and 96 inches but can add more at different heights?

Ok in reading your question, do you want them lower???

There are two alternatives if you cannot mount them at that height

72 allows with in six inches of ceiling NFPA 72 2010 section 18.5.4.2, but comply with the entire section

There is a performance based that can be used 18.5.4.5

Why??? ::: """ Many places in this building they would not to be visible at these heights. """

Some would need to be higher and some lower and in some areas both.
I got to believe ceiling strobes can be incorporated into your project. More visual devises may be required for good coverage.
Ceiling is over 96" (40' in some areas).
I didn't know about the performance method, anyone ever use this?

Some would need to be higher and some lower and in some areas both.

Ceiling is over 96" (40' in some areas).
I didn't know about the performance method, anyone ever use this?

I guess why do they need to be higher than the required mounting hieght??

There are other options, move to one side, and use higher candela,, Do ceiling mount.

I have not seen the performance used before, because normally there are other options.

Some of the conveyors are hundreds of feet long and 4 or 5 could be next to each other, so moving it to the side would not work. The ceiling is to high.

Some of the conveyors are hundreds of feet long and 4 or 5 could be next to each other, so moving it to the side would not work. The ceiling is to high.

There are always options

Find a bare wall at correct hieght and just crank up the candela

Hang them from the roof deck, I think max hieght is 35 feet, would have to look.

Put them on columns.

May have to have more devices than normal

The fire alarm company should be able to design a 72 system, if they cannot do it, they need to hire someone that can

Or on the ceiling

But after a certain hieght they have to be brought down to a max hieght

Will find it and post

This is one of a few solutions

From 2010 NFPA 72

18.5.4.3.6 *

If ceiling heights exceed 30 ft (9.14 m), ceiling-mounted visible notification appliances shall be suspended at or below 30 ft (9.14 m) or at the mounting height determined using the performance-based alternative of 18.5.4.5, or wall-mounted visible notification appliances shall be installed in accordance with Table 18.5.4.3.1(a).

A.18.5.4.3.6

This subsection is also intended to permit ceiling-mounted strobes to be suspended below the ceiling, provided the strobe height is not below the viewing plane for any ceiling height.

I guess why the question??

Business owner bothering you

Fire alarm company does not know what they are going??

Other??

Thanks cda i'll have to check that.
Doing building code inspections on a new building. Largest and most complicated I ever did.

They would have win an appeal to use a newer code book.

Thanks cda i'll have to check that.
Doing building code inspections on a new building. Largest and most complicated I ever did.

They would have win an appeal to use a newer code book.

So are you reviewing fire alarm plans???

Still puzzled on the question

Plans where reviewed and passed a couple of years ago. The plans of the building do not show the conveyors which are on a different permit and set of plans. The building is 90% finished and the conveyors are 50% finished. As the conveyors are being built they block the strobes and so the strobes would have to be moved above and below the required height by the NFPA.
Just want to know how to proceed on inspecting the fire alarms if they can't be where the code requires them.

So they need to go to the appeal board to move the strobes higher and lower than the maximum and minimum required by the NFPA that is in current use in PA?

Plans where reviewed and passed a couple of years ago. The plans of the building do not show the conveyors which are on a different permit and set of plans. The building is 90% finished and the conveyors are 50% finished. As the conveyors are being built they block the strobes and so the strobes would have to be moved above and below the required height by the NFPA.
Just want to know how to proceed on inspecting the fire alarms if they can't be where the code requires them.

Require the fire alarm company to either install per NFPA 72

Or if you want plans, have the fire alarm company redraw and submit for review.

The convyer problem is an easy fix