• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Existing 2 story grand stair - not necessary for egress - handrail upgrade?

redbird11

SAWHORSE
I have an existing 2 story grand stair that I do not need for egress requirements. It has a 3" diameter handrail. Per 2012 IEBC
805.9.1 Minimum requirement. Every required exit stairway that is part of the means of egress for any work area and that has three or more risers and is not provided with at least one handrail, or in which the existing handrails are judged to be in danger of collapsing, shall be provided with handrails for the full length of the run of steps on at least one side. All exit stairways with a required egress width of more than 66 inches (1676 mm) shall have handrails on both sides.
805.9.2 Design. Handrails required in accordance with Section 805.9.1 shall be designed and installed in accordance with the provisions of the International Building Code.

If the stair is not required for egress do I need to bring the handrail up to IBC diameter?

Correct; the existing handrail is permitted to remain without alteration.

The code commentary reiterates "complying handrails must be installed in all required exit stairways that serve a work area. If additional stairways are provided that are not required by the IBC as an element of means of egress, then the handrail provisions of this section are not applicable to such stairways."

Redbird, if you are not doing anything you don't need to do something.

Correct; the existing handrail is permitted to remain without alteration.

The code commentary reiterates "complying handrails must be installed in all required exit stairways that serve a work area. If additional stairways are provided that are not required by the IBC as an element of means of egress, then the handrail provisions of this section are not applicable to such stairways."

I'm not sure about this. It might say this in the commentary but not in the code.So if I build a new stairway that is not required for egress it doesn't need to be built to chapter 10 even though I would need a permit? no handrails, guards, nosings, landings, etc.

If you build "something new" it must be code compliant, it can't be less safe then code minimums.