• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What To look for?

I don't say too much because I don't know what others may or may not know. I'm not looking to come off as a know it all jerk.....just a regular jerk is good enough for me. You've already heard from Rick. By what I have done here he's pegged me as an ahole. Others have said the same.
So I don't have a lot to say. People can think that I am dumb when I keep my mouth shut......I can start talking and prove it to them.

I thought being an A**h*** was a job requirement...o_O

For years I've seen the telephone company cut the conduit that protects the GC wire on the outside, then they would attach their bonding wire just under the meter can.

Not sure I'm going to see these devices on the outside, the telephone and cable guys can't get into the POCO's meter can.

I thought being an A**h*** was a job requirement...o_O

We had an inspector that kept getting called into the office when he was first hired, he said the same thing!

The Administrator just looked at him and said "Who told you that!"
"Public Works needs a guy on the road crew, does that interest you!"

walked onto a job yesterday. There was two brothers, not twins but very much alike. I have know them close to 20 years. Their last name starts with S. I call one the good S and the other the bad S. They were painting kilz over an older orange. Their backs to me as I walked in unannounced I said well, well I said its good to see the good S working. Bad S was the first to say yes I am - I shook my head side to side. Good S came up shook my hand and tried to hand off the paint stick to me and I said no its the first time I have seen Good S doing some work you can keep it. Bad S said what the f*(& are you doing here. I said you don't have a permit yet and I saw the dumpster? Good S says do we need one - I said not yet! So some ongoing conversation comes and goes about when and why a permit would be needed. They both have been in the community a long time and know the rules. Bad S's wife comes in, Bad S acts nice and says do you remember my wife and I say yes how are you. Bad S asks his wife if she remember me from when I used to give them honey from my bees and she says yes asking if I am still doing that - I said no but now that the grand kids are older and bear aware I am wanting to get back into it. So I make my exit saying see you Good S and Bad S and Mrs. S. Good S says bye good to see you - Bad S says see ya *&*hole. I look at them both and I walk away laughing (we were all laughing) saying that I had it right all along!

Actually Bad S and I are really close friends

Last edited:
Well then linnrg I googled Sterling Alaska to get an idea of what it's like in your neck of the woods......in the woods it is. 5,617 people know you as the inspector. I'm in an area of ....oh I don't know, ten million maybe....give or take. I reckon there's 5,618 people that know me as the inspector. The difference is that I don't know any of them and they rotate in and out.

ICE, You are correct - we truly have totally different experiences. I could rarely comment on your pool pictures because I never do them. I don't live in a world of solar. Electrical panel change outs are rare, On the small appliance change outs we do not do permits so I usually only see new - except for commercial projects. I do not have the differing languages, cultures, ethnicity, etc. I do not have the pressure of being in a big organization or trying to cover a large area. And I certainly don't have the building code mess that California politics have cooked up.

I wrote the above because of the way the thread had gotten to the point of inspectors having the reputation in general of being a#@ h(&*'s. And to show that being called one to your face is not always bad - I was in a different place and jokes abound versus the stress that many of you have to endure. I even showed what I wrote to my boss and to the City Manager and I said to them how different my world was.

I have lived rocky mountains to east coast to west coast over my career - in small towns - medium towns and cities. I am lucky I found where I need to be.

So to anyone out there feeling the stress take a break and go fishing.

I was told yesterday by the GC that they had a special inspector and they didn't need me, that he can handle it.

My mind said lay-into him but my training said keep your hands to your side and take a deep breath.
Then I ask where's the ufer at?
Why's there water in the trench?
Why's the bar touching earth?
and when I just walked across you slab, why's the sub-grade pumping?
Does the Special Inspector work for you or are they third party?

Glad your all here, saves on psychiatrist visits.

here is a service call - existing home built 1961. Two problems. EERO does not meet today's dimensions (1961 UBC had no requirements that I know of). Service drop to close to opening
needs 3' minimum.

service-EERO.jpg

Working on the the boat now, lol. I'm only hard when being nice doesn't work or the 5th time I have to tell you the same thing, sure we all have those.

ICE, i like your posts. Makes me feel better about my dummies. Could use more Explanation on the electrical, but I've even visited your website and like it too.:D

Working on the the boat now, lol. I'm only hard when being nice doesn't work or the 5th time I have to tell you the same thing, sure we all have those.

ICE, i like your posted makes me feel better about my dummies. Could use more Explanation on the electrical, but I've even visited you website and like it too.:D
my250.........what website are you referring to?

That's because GoDaddy wants another $75 a year for a padlock. They tell me that the internet is to blame. It's BS as far as I can tell. It makes it look like I'm a crook trying to get to your stuff. Google Analytics monitors the traffic and I can tell you that if five people a month look at it....well that's a busy month.

I created it for some of the new inspectors where I work. There's a dozen or more but they never look at it.

We have over a hundred inspectors in a bunch of far flung locations and we all do everything differently. A forum that only we could access could do some wondrous things for improving our skills. The least of us could be as strong as the best of us. We could communicate in real time with the iPad that we were provided. Hell's Bells most of them have an iPhone the size of a tv.

Once I figured out that it was a waste of time I just had fun with it. Hence the videos and songs. Many of the videos were seen here as well. It's the same for most of it.

Last edited: