• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Conduit Bonding

Flexo

I did an intermediate electrical inspection for a residential outbuilding a week ago. I failed the installation due to EMT conduit being through concentric knockouts on the subpanel, thereby compromising the bonding between these metallic components. The homeowner did the work, he thinks that bonding bushings inside of his subpanel would be "ugly" and now he has convinced the next inspector to approve the intermediate installation because the metallic boxes are grounded to the equipment grounding conductors and the boxes are bonded to the conduit. He feels that the intent of the Code is met in this manner.
My question for you is, would you require a bond between the conduit and the subpanel in this circumstance?

I'm just another inspector but it is my understanding that at a sub-panel there isn't a code that requires a bonding jumper around an intact KO. I find the violation at services a lot.

(B) Method of Bonding at the Service. Bonding jumpers meeting the requirements of this article shall be used around impaired connections, such as reducing washers or oversized, concentric, or eccentric knockouts. Standard locknuts or bushings shall not be the only means for the bonding required by this section but shall be permitted to be installed to make a mechanical connection of the raceway(s).

Electrical continuity at service equipment, service raceways, and service conductor enclosures shall be ensured by one of the following methods:

1 Bonding equipment to the grounded service conductor in a manner provided in 250.8

2 Connections utilizing threaded couplings or threaded hubs on enclosures if made up wrenchtight

3 Threadless couplings and connectors if made up tight for metal raceways and metal-clad cables

4 Other listed devices, such as bonding-type locknuts, bushings, or bushings with bonding jumpers

Last edited: