• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

History of Codes

Glenn

I believe in the value of history and preserving it. I am planning a new class/online course on the history of the codes and the code organizations. My vintage code book collection gives me much insight into the various players over the last 100+ years, but I still have so much to learn. I came into codes during the 1997 UBC.

I am starting this thread to request assistance from those interested in sharing their knowledge and experience about the evolution of codes and the code organizations. I will start posting bits of information as well. Calling for "elders" that will help future generations understand what it took to get where we are. Here are some topics to get you going.

Do you know some good online sources for research?
Do you have a story to tell from days of yore?
Do you have dates when organizations started/ended?
What was the first "chapter" of the legacy organizations or the ICC?
What are the dirty truths of the hot/cold relationship between ICBO and IAPMO?
How did the NFPA take the lead on electrical code over the ANSI national electrical safety code?

Thank you in advance. I want to hear your stories and share them with others that want to hear them too. If you have much to share, I would like to phone interview you.

Here's a little rough and impromptu video I made about plumbing code organization history, as told through my books. This is NOT what a real class/online course would look like. This is just for fun and to get folks talking about code organization history. Please join me in collecting this knowledge.
(Yes, I know there are errors in my narration, like 1972 instead of 1922 for ICBO, and referring to city codes but showing state codes. Oh well, it was ad-lib.)
ENJOY!

In my jurisdiction in 1912 the Building Inspection Department/Division came into existence. Well......of course come 2012, my boss wanted me to do a presentation to the Hysterical Society......giving some background. Ended up being somewhat interesting. I'll see if i can dig it up (haha, pun intended) and post it up.

In my jurisdiction in 1912 the Building Inspection Department/Division came into existence. Well......of course come 2012, my boss wanted me to do a presentation to the Hysterical Society......giving some background. Ended up being somewhat interesting. I'll see if i can dig it up (haha, pun intended) and post it up.
Yes, please do.

Building codes are an artifact of the states and hence the codes, the history, and their implementation differ from state to state.

Any study of building codes should look at how the model codes and the publishers of the model codes displace competition. Think antitrust. You should explore the idea propagated by the publishers of model codes that they own and as a result can limit your access to the building code which are laws.

How many Legacy Codes were there? I got another new old code. Here's a little story about it. Caution...for nerds only.

I've been working for the Journal of Light Construction for years and I constantly reference code history in my articles. They asked me to share a little about my collection with the readers. "Keeper of Codes" I like that title... My kids tell me my dream for a national building code museum isn't a good idea... phss...what do they know... https://www.jlconline.com/business/keeper-of-the-codes_o

I received a vintage code book gift in the mail and it led to a little research on pool barriers. If you don't just love this video, then you are not nerdy enough for this forum, ha, ha!

OK Glenn, just received a truckload of codes yesterday (14) boxes! Old timer retired.
NEC, UPC, UBC, UMC, CBC, etc. am creating a list as there are some duplicates.
Many in original binders. Interested in trading or selling to preserve them.

OK Glenn, just received a truckload of codes yesterday (14) boxes! Old timer retired.
NEC, UPC, UBC, UMC, CBC, etc. am creating a list as there are some duplicates.
Many in original binders. Interested in trading or selling to preserve them.
I am very happy to hear this news. Yes, please save and preserve. Yes, please let me help with that. Very, very cool! I will anxiously await to hear what you got. You can email me at glenn at buildingcodecollege.com Thank you!

I've heard rumors that segregation was represented in some of the old southern codes. I just got in the mail a 1930's Meridian Mississippi code book and thought it might have so clues to that rumor. Here's a short little video of what I found and learned after a quick review through the book. Enjoy!

I was researching residential exterior door landing code history for my upcoming Fine Homebuilding Magazine article. Since I had my books out...well... I figured I'd make another of my rough little history videos. Enjoy!

The 1892 Boston Building Code, with a few pages on "history of building codes". Seriously people...history written 127 years ago... Who's excited?!

I was researching residential exterior door landing code history for my upcoming Fine Homebuilding Magazine article. Since I had my books out...well... I figured I'd make another of my rough little history videos. Enjoy!

Glen, FYI, here is the NW, we pronounce CABO as kay-bow.

Thanks for sharing your research!! Much appreciated!!!!

Glen, FYI, here is the NW, we pronounce CABO as kay-bow.

Thanks for sharing your research!! Much appreciated!!!!
Ha, ha! Oh man...I've been hit with that Kay-bow lesson from a few folks now! Oops! At least I didn't confuse it with a popular South American tourist destination!

I had never heard of a dwelling code version of the Uniform Plumbing Code. Now I have. Pretty cool, actually.

Glenn, Glenn, Glenn; you have chosen to enter a brave new world. So much knowledge to acquire and so little time.
I have just received digital copies of UBC 1927 to the end, fun reading.