• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

When can you not use pier footers for building a small house in Upstate NY

BILL Ernst leave my thread please your an idiot and for your information the designer got paid what he asked as a down payment the CE put a stop to his design not me.Please I have enough issues then to deal with someone that's has nothing better to do then try very hard to get a laugh out of his own idiotic expressions of dirty CE. was that quite clear I hope good bye.

second story on Sono-Tube piers that is the question. Can it be done will the IRC allow it.

Someone, and thanks to those of you that are looking to help..

Gentlemen, do not take offense that I say evil trust me he is not someone who a decent person would say he is just and remember he said I can make it hard for you to build your house. That gentlemen is abuse of power, and I am not saying other things he has said.

Nevertheless, please excuse me for the sharing of my personal problem with said person it is ended. I have the highest regard for the profession just not him.

Many good pointer's I am studying now. As for the comment about just paying you sound very silly saying that I would hope you may teach me something else its not the money please take it to heart---Bill Ernst end of discussion. soils engineering report/geotechnical maybe. These are suppose to be preliminaries the DE should have just said no, yes /// change simple. He said no this is not the way it;s done you can't use piers , the house is to high to big and nothing about the frost line. then he said I am not signaling you out Oh! three times.

Much appreciated from all please can someone tell me how to download here the plans ,pdf that might help. keep it coming I am learning.

Your not making points with people trying to help you.

To post

Either pay and become s Sawhorse, cheap price for people that know what they are doing

Or somehow make them into a link and

Post the link

2nd part is above my computer grade, so can’t give you directions

I NY you can design your own home up to 1500 sf without an engineers stamp. If you submitted plans showing the loads imposed on the piers with a footing pad of sufficient size to carry the load, I would have no problem accepting the plans. Without soils analysis you would have to use the minimum capacity of 1500 psf unless your building official has determined the soil capacity to be less than 1500 psf, in which case you would need a soils evaluation. If calculating the loads is beyond your abilities then you will need professional help.

I NY you can design your own home up to 1500 sf without an engineers stamp. If you submitted plans showing the loads imposed on the piers with a footing pad of sufficient size to carry the load, I would have no problem accepting the plans. Without soils analysis you would have to use the minimum capacity of 1500 psf unless your building official has determined the soil capacity to be less than 1500 psf, in which case you would need a soils evaluation. If calculating the loads is beyond your abilities then you will need professional help.
Shouldn't that say "maximum capacity of 1500psf"" and "more than 1500 psf”?

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I don't like hearing you guys toss derogatory labels at each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBI
I hope the individual who said “Only pier I know about,,, is a fishing pier” was being flippant. I suggest you read Chapter 18 of the IBC.

While I can understand building inspectors being defensive when one of their own is cussed out, I suggest you give some consideration to the applicant who is cussed out for asking a reasonable question. Why are building inspectors allowed to be sensitive to name calling but the applicant is expected to have a thick skin and accept whatever the inspector says?

Any building inspector who requires something that is not required by the formally adopted building regulations is acting illegally. Other inspectors and building officials should not excuse such behavior. Building officials and inspectors need to explain why they reject something.

The reference to R401.2 and R402.4 is the kind of response that is equivalent to saying “Boy go away”. It is disrespectful.

My advice to the is to hire a Civil Engineer to advise on what is needed. My guess is that with engineered stamped drawings the inspector will not be as arbitrary. Sounds like you are dealing with an unlicensed drafter. These individuals are notorious for not knowing what they do not know.

Applications by homeowners and drafters are notorious for being incomplete or wrong. This is why you need to hire an engineer. Still this does not excuse the reported response by the local inspector.

Let's end with this post (#15). Moreover displaying the drawing may invite further criticism and unlikely resolve the issues with the plans examiner
Let's start with this:
https://www.dos.ny.gov/dcea/ (Official NYS Code Webpage)

Then make sure your code official is indeed acting legally in that capacity:
https://www.dos.ny.gov/DCEA/certceolist.html (list of certified code officials/inspectors)

Then, start the process of gathering information for an appeal
https://www.dos.ny.gov/dcea/reg_off_cty.html (contact info for appeal process)

Here is the appeal form in PDF:
https://www.dos.ny.gov/dcea/pdf/2078-a-f.pdf

No one here is going to give you legal advice on a situation when we are completely in the dark and not the AHJ. You can have your design professional appeal this with a lot more luck than you trying.

If you want to post a PDF copy of your blueprints for a better response then please let me know and I will help you do that.

Without Seeing the plans there is no way for anyone on the internet to determine compliance with the code. these are the code sections you identified: get a design professional involved to assist you.

R401.2
Requirements
Foundation construction shall be capable of accommodating all loads in accordance with Section R301 and of transmitting the resulting loads to the supporting soil. Fill soils that support footings and foundations shall be designed, installed and tested in accordance with accepted engineering practice. Gravel fill used as footings for wood and precast concrete foundations shall comply with Section R403.

R402.4 Masonry Masonry systems shall be designed and installed in accordance with this chapter and shall have a minimum specified compressive strength of 1,500 psi (10.3 MPa).

louie,

Your design professional (Architect or Engineer) will need to 'design' your proposed foundation and support that 'design' with suitable calculations in accordance with accepted engineering practice. Load bearing value of the soil(s) on your project site will be necessary unless the soils are consistent and can be readily classified as having a load bearing capacity of 1,500 pounds per square foot. The Building design will need to establish what tributary loads are being placed on each pier, and the footings for the piers will need to distribute those loads accordingly.

Your proposal is not a 'prescriptive' foundation, that's why the Code Official correctly asked for more detailed information, though he does not seem to understand the importance of citing the Code, or the importance of assisting and educating applicants for permits. These are essential for a good Code Official.

The links provided by JAR should be helpful in following through with your project.
Keep us posted on the progress.

Had a township with a local ordinance that required continuing foundations for all buildings. They got rid of the ordinance after I failed a plan review for a pole building the township wanted to build for their maintenance department.

Reactions: cda