• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

When Mechanical Inspectors and Electrical Inspectors Need to Talk

jar546

Forum Coordinator
There are many instances where it either pays to be a multi-discipline inspector (I am but no longer believe it that) or when the inspectors and plan reviewers need to talk. Here is one such example:

In a major repair garage, the pit is often a troublesome spot. NEC 511.3(C)(3) allows the pit area's classification to be either Class 1, Division 1 or Class 1, Division 2 based on whether or not ventilation is provided, specifically 4 air exchanges per hour. (it used to be 4 exchanges)

The electrical inspector is often told one thing but unless it can be verified by the mechanical inspector, all is lost. I have witnessed similar situations in other overlap disciplines.

Thoughts?

I believe in multi discipline inspectors. Both of my electrical inspectors are only just that electrical inspectors.
So in that case we talk all the time. Have not had a pit situations in quite a long time, but there are many other areas that are of concern.