• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Junction Box for small Range

jar546

Forum Coordinator
If I have a 40A CB that feeds #8awg to a 40A range plug, can I use a 4x4x1-1/2" deep junction box to mount the range plug if the box is properly installed and grounded?

Yes, if there is external cable clamps, No if there are internal clamps. 2017 NEC table 314.16 (A) allows 7- #8 conductors. Red, white and black coming in; red, white and black going out; plus one total for the equipment grounds. Total of 7 - #8 conductors allowed in the 21 cubic inch metal box.

Yes, if there is external cable clamps, No if there are internal clamps. 2017 NEC table 314.16 (A) allows 7- #8 conductors. Red, white and black coming in; red, white and black going out; plus one total for the equipment grounds. Total of 7 - #8 conductors allowed in the 21 cubic inch metal box.

Hmm, see NEC 314.24(B)(3) please and see if that changes your answer.

Did you change the question? I would have sworn that the original question asked about the size of the junction box required to extend the circuit a short distance. If i read it wrong (maybe, LOL) then yes, a deeper box is required. Would a raised cover or plaster ring suffice, hmmmm? 314.24 (B)-yes, a plaster ring could work, if its deep enough.

Did you change the question? I would have sworn that the original question asked about the size of the junction box required to extend the circuit a short distance. If i read it wrong (maybe, LOL) then yes, a deeper box is required. Would a raised cover or plaster ring suffice, hmmmm? 314.24 (B)-yes, a plaster ring could work, if its deep enough.

LOL, sorry. Yes I had to clarify the question. What I meant is how it is written now. I see how my previous wording was not written very well to articulate what I meant.

can I use a 4x4x1-1/2" deep junction box to mount the range plug if the box is properly installed and grounded?

314.24 (b)(3) Conductors 8, 6 and 4 AWG- Not less than a 2-1/16" box. Is this what you were wanting us to see?