• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2021 Deck Code Proposals

Glenn

As I did for the 2015 IRC, I am representing the North American Deck and Railing Association in code development for 2021. If you are interested in what is coming to the hearings next year, here is the update I wrote for the association regarding my work. I welcome questions and comments.
NOTE:
1) NADRA is an industry-wide organization (builders, mfg, vendors, home inspectors, etc)
2) I do not do this work for any group but NADRA. We have a long relationship...back to when I was building decks. Decks have been a big part of my life for 22 of 41 years.
3) Yes, I am paid, but they also pay me to teach them how to do this work honorably, which I hope you will find in this blog I am sharing.

Thank you.

http://www.nadrablog.com/?p=4859

I just finished the last meeting of many (for new IRC proposals) with the Deck Code Coalition (DCC). This is an unofficial group of professionals that have been working together to settle differences, share ideas and have collective support for proposals for the 2021 IRC. Such professionals include, NAHB, SMA, NADRA, AWC, CLMA, engineering firms, building officials and deck product manufacturers. I am very proud to announce that we found agreement on 8 of 8 proposals being submitted by the DCC. As you review deck related proposals this March, I want you know that the ones from DCC are well-prepared, well-vetted, and respectable. No proposal represents any single, selfish view or agenda. All our proposals represent everything right about how to develop code. You may disagree with our ideas, that's okay, but how we came to them is nothing short of amazing. I wish our country's politicians would learn from us. Yes, I am damn proud of the professionals I worked with on this.
Thank you. Please reach out to me with any deck code development concerns or ideas.