• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

basement stairs - with roof

Pablo C

Hello

3 story single family home. 1st floor is 1/2 below ground level. Id like to build:

1. a door with concrete stairs on the outside of home leading into one of the rooms on this floor, with some sort of sump pump/drain for the rainwater.

I was told I do not need a permit for the stairs.

Is this correct?

One other thing I am unsure of, do these stairs need to be a certain distance from my property line in order to get a permit if one is needed?

Phoenix, Arizona

Hello

3 story single family home. 1st floor is 1/2 below ground level. Id like to build:

1. a door with concrete stairs on the outside of home leading into one of the rooms on this floor, with some sort of sump pump/drain for the rainwater.

I was told I do not need a permit for the stairs.

Is this correct?

One other thing I am unsure of, do these stairs need to be a certain distance from my property line in order to get a permit if one is needed?

Phoenix, Arizona

First of all, welcome. Next I will let you know that part of your question is a zoning issue that can only be answered by your local zoning officer/department as they are all specific to locality.

Next, you will get more responses during the week as we are very slow over the weekend around here. You will also need to verify exactly how much of the first floor is below grade as it is important to know the exact percentage it is below finished grade for a bunch of reasons. Is the first floor a basement or a living space? Do you have a drawing?

hello

thanks for replying

1. It is living space. There are 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms down there.
2. I do not have a drawing but id say about 40% to 50% of the floor height is under ground level.

More than likely a permit of some type to include building permit is required

Just how most cities work

Who is telling you one is not needed??

Home Depot contractor with magnetic sign on his truck?

While possible, it is unlikely that permits are not required. There will be stairs and a new hole in the basement wall.....plumbing and electrical for the sump pump.