• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wood basement wall question

Down under

Hi purchased a bilevel house wood wall basement 5 foot below grade at front sloped to a walkout at back. Basement floor has in ground pex run and is insulated, no boiler yet. I found a 2 inch gap around the base of the floor and the wood wall, and footing .Can see gravel . The walls are level no shifting or cracks in drywall on upper level.it appears to have been built this way . First time i have come across so any explanation ,information or recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Search "permanent wood foundation" on the net. You will learn a lot. Treated wood foundation systems are one of the prescriptive methods detailed in the International residential code.

What is the footing made of??

Poured concrete??? if so does it appear to be level the entire run?

How old of house?

I'll check for floor level yes poured .none of the wood or drywall in rooms has water stains or has been replaced. .. House is 20 years old

Basement floor is slab on grade?
Can you see the top half of wood wall? What is it finished with?
Does exterior grade slope away from house?
Are you in a frost zone?
Adjacent to any water sources?

Hi house is about 5 feet below grade at front slopes to walkout at back. Southern Alberta, so some frosting ground, but I doubt if it's much . No water sources close by. Walls are pressure treated wood . Im guessing it was built with intent to put in French drain system .

If you are or know someone computer/ photo smart, i am not

You can take a few pictures,

Turn them into a link

And post the link here

Might help see what is going on