• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Classification question

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Has anybody dealt with a school that provides one-on-one teaching? The "classrooms" are between 80 and 120 s.f., every student has their own teacher, 15 to 20 classrooms. No break rooms, no cafeteria, no gym, a couple of state mandated group learning rooms about 200s.f. and some library areas for homework and books. Student are 6th grade to 12th grade. Curriculum varies but takes the place of traditional high school. Hours for each individual student can vary. Operates more like a B than an E. Not sure the IBC E classification anticipated these. If you have had one of these I am interested to know how it was classified. 50 of the same already exist across the country, I am told that about half have been classified as an E, the other half as a B.

Sounds like a B

Tutoring

15-20 rooms

Variable hours

Last edited:
Hum

1 Educational Group E.
Educational Group E occupancy includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a portion thereof, by six or more persons at any one time for educational purposes through the 12th grade.

But

B;

• Training and skill development not in a school or academic program (this shall include, but not be limited to, tutoring centers, martial arts studios, gymnastics and similar uses regardless of the ages served, and where not classified as a Group A occupancy).
Without more info I am sticking with a B

I would go with a B - tutoring center.

Guidance is provided one-on-one, risk level is generally low.

Do you not believe the more than 6 persons would move this to a E from a B tutoring center?
Almost positive my jurisdiction would err in that direction

You have all hit upon my thoughts. This was an initial meeting, and my initial response was E. I asked for an analysis both ways since I can see it both ways as well. I think the space can comply either way, but if it is an E it is a change of occupancy and the rest of the building comes in to play. I'll see what the analysis looks like.

but if it is an E it is a change of occupancy and the rest of the building comes in to play
Not necessarily, Look at IEBC

1001.3.1 Partial change of occupancy classification.
Where a portion of an existing building is changed to a new occupancy classification, Section 1012 shall apply.

1012.1.1.1 Change of occupancy classification without separation.
Where a portion of an existing building is changed to a new occupancy classification and that portion is not separated from the remainder of the building with fire barriers having a fire-resistance rating as required in the International Building Code for the separate occupancy, the entire building shall comply with all of the requirements of Chapter 9 applied throughout the building for the most restrictive occupancy classification in the building and with the requirements of this chapter.

1012.1.1.2 Change of occupancy classification with separation.
Where a portion of an existing building that is changed to a new occupancy classification and that portion is separated from the remainder of the building with fire barriers having a fire-resistance rating as required in the International Building Code for the separate occupancy, that portion shall comply with all of the requirements of Chapter 9 for the new occupancy classification and with the requirements of this chapter.

To me kind of like a music lesson place, where you have multiple rooms.

Yes and your mother may make you stay there five hours.

Thanks MT, maybe there are two possible paths here if we go with the E classification:

#1: 2012 IBC, ch. 34 says change of occupancy will trigger the building to comply with the IBC, and the main sticking point is the emergency voice/alarm system required by 907.2.3, which they do not have. They are willing to install the system in the space but the rest of the building is problematic. The FD will have to consider whether they can allow the two different systems.

#2: 2012 IBC 3401.6 requiring a design in accordance with the IEBC be allowed (we don't have the IEBC adopted so this de-facto section is part of the path). Going to the 2012 IEBC we go to 1012.1.1.1, change of occupancy without separation, which requires the entire building comply with CH. 9. Going to ch. 9, neither 804.4.1 nor 904.2.1 requires the voice/alarm system.
#2 alternate: they separate the space, which may be an easy solution since the building is a IIA so the floor above should be 1-hr, and the space is the entire first floor. This then allows only the space to comply, which would still appear to not require the voice/alarm system.

I am not a fire alarm expert by any stretch and We defer to the fire authority here, and they are concerned about the voice/alarm system, however they also are not real adept at the use of the IEBC yet (a lot like me).

Does this make sense?

Thanks MT, maybe there are two possible paths here if we go with the E classification:

#1: 2012 IBC, ch. 34 says change of occupancy will trigger the building to comply with the IBC, and the main sticking point is the emergency voice/alarm system required by 907.2.3, which they do not have. They are willing to install the system in the space but the rest of the building is problematic. The FD will have to consider whether they can allow the two different systems.

#2: 2012 IBC 3401.6 requiring a design in accordance with the IEBC be allowed (we don't have the IEBC adopted so this de-facto section is part of the path). Going to the 2012 IEBC we go to 1012.1.1.1, change of occupancy without separation, which requires the entire building comply with CH. 9. Going to ch. 9, neither 804.4.1 nor 904.2.1 requires the voice/alarm system.
#2 alternate: they separate the space, which may be an easy solution since the building is a IIA so the floor above should be 1-hr, and the space is the entire first floor. This then allows only the space to comply, which would still appear to not require the voice/alarm system.

I am not a fire alarm expert by any stretch and We defer to the fire authority here, and they are concerned about the voice/alarm system, however they also are not real adept at the use of the IEBC yet (a lot like me).

Does this make sense?

For 30 to 40 people?

2012 IBC
3401.6 Alternative compliance.
Work performed in accordance with the International Existing Building Code shall be deemed to comply with the provisions of this chapter.

You do not have to adopt the IEBC to use it. The building code chapter 34 specifically states you have to accept it if used and the Fire department is not the final say on what systems are required and if they are required throughout a building or just a portion of it.

2012 IFC
907.1 General.
This section covers the application, installation, performance and maintenance of fire alarm systems and their components in new and existing buildings and structures. The requirements of Section 907.2 are applicable to new buildings and structures. The requirements of Section 907.9 are applicable to existing buildings and structures.

907.9 Where required in existing buildings and structures.
An approved fire alarm system shall be provided in existing buildings and structures where required in Chapter 11.

1103.7.1 Group E.
A fire alarm system shall be installed in existing Group E occupancies in accordance with Section 907.2.3.

Exceptions:

1. A manual fire alarm system is not required in a building with a maximum area of 1,000 square feet (93 m2) that contains a single classroom and is located no closer than 50 feet (15 240 mm) from another building.

2. A manual fire alarm system is not required in Group E occupancies with an occupant load less than 50.

Less than than 50 people the IFC does not require an alarm notification system. FD can not require more than what the code states

2012 IBC
3401.6 Alternative compliance.
Work performed in accordance with the International Existing Building Code shall be deemed to comply with the provisions of this chapter.

You do not have to adopt the IEBC to use it. The building code chapter 34 specifically states you have to accept it if used and the Fire department is not the final say on what systems are required and if they are required throughout a building or just a portion of it.

2012 IFC
907.1 General.
This section covers the application, installation, performance and maintenance of fire alarm systems and their components in new and existing buildings and structures. The requirements of Section 907.2 are applicable to new buildings and structures. The requirements of Section 907.9 are applicable to existing buildings and structures.

907.9 Where required in existing buildings and structures.
An approved fire alarm system shall be provided in existing buildings and structures where required in Chapter 11.

1103.7.1 Group E.
A fire alarm system shall be installed in existing Group E occupancies in accordance with Section 907.2.3.

Exceptions:

1. A manual fire alarm system is not required in a building with a maximum area of 1,000 square feet (93 m2) that contains a single classroom and is located no closer than 50 feet (15 240 mm) from another building.

2. A manual fire alarm system is not required in Group E occupancies with an occupant load less than 50.

Less than than 50 people the IFC does not require an alarm notification system. FD can not require more than what the code states
Calculated as an E the occupant load would exceed 50.

Calculated as an E the occupant load would exceed 50.

Then you use this code path

1103.7.1 Group E.

907.2.3 Group E.
A manual fire alarm system that initiates the occupant notification signal utilizing an emergency voice/alarm communication system meeting the requirements of Section 907.5.2.2 and installed in accordance with Section 907.6 shall be installed in Group E occupancies. When automatic sprinkler systems or smoke detectors are installed, such systems or detectors shall be connected to the building fire alarm system.

Exceptions:

1. A manual fire alarm system is not required in Group E occupancies with an occupant load of 30 or less.

2. Manual fire alarm boxes are not required in Group E occupancies where all of the following apply:

2.1. Interior corridors are protected by smoke detectors. do you have interior corridors?

2.2. Auditoriums, cafeterias, gymnasiums and similar areas are protected by heat detectors or other approved detection devices.

2.3. Shops and laboratories involving dusts or vapors are protected by heat detectors or other approved detection devices.

3. Manual fire alarm boxes shall not be required in Group E occupancies where the building is equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1, the emergency voice/alarm communication system will activate on sprinkler water flow and manual activation is provided from a normally occupied location.

If you do not have the rooms listed in 2.2 and 2.3 and you have interior corridors then install smoke detectors and no voice/alarm system would be required.

They are providing a service - not an typical educational setup..... no different than you going to a large cpa office to work on your taxes....B all Day long...

I take the six as being gathered into one room as in a traditional education setup with classrooms and instructional spaces.