• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

I was there for a re-roof.

47107621871_d821d187b7_c.jpg

Some guys never figure out how to think upside down and backwards.

47107621941_44a6612eca_c.jpg

Just a guess.....but it must have been his last day.

Last edited:
Do you get this "old house" out there? Silvia wouldn't have don it that way!

An engineer can probably tell you it's no big deal, shim it and cover it with cedar fascia.

Needs paint!

In Conarb's world permit fees start at $5000 for a bathroom remodel and require signoffs from 3 different engineers plus another 2 architects with 3D drawings and moving a sink in a kitchen requires a approval by the governor of California along with a $50,000 fee to DEP for in impact analysis to the sewer system. The permit would take 5 years for approval and during construction everyone's property taxes would be raised $10,000 per year to cover the costs of the building department. This, along with the fact that a $1,000,000 permit fee for a new single family residence with a value of $275,000 being the norm makes his world only for the elite.

Thats bizarre. Looks like a nice neighbirhood. Not only is the fascia board scabbed together right there, but they have stacked a pair of 1x boards on top of the beam. I hope the hidden rafters are continuous and only the fascia is in pieces. Nice paint job too.

FYI: All Inspections are paid 100% by permit fees in Oregon. Not taxes. :D
I was the PM for a project in Portland, the permit fees were a bit high but not unresaonable. The nice thing was, once we started the process the city assigned one person to the project, and he did everything from initial plan review all the way to final inspection.

In Conarb's world permit fees start at $5000 for a bathroom remodel and require signoffs from 3 different engineers plus another 2 architects with 3D drawings and moving a sink in a kitchen requires a approval by the governor of California along with a $50,000 fee to DEP for in impact analysis to the sewer system. The permit would take 5 years for approval and during construction everyone's property taxes would be raised $10,000 per year to cover the costs of the building department. This, along with the fact that a $1,000,000 permit fee for a new single family residence with a value of $275,000 being the norm makes his world only for the elite.

Oh, this is AWESOME!

There is a battery backup to a PV system that has been installed. Every circuit except the A/C passes through this space on it's way to a panel-board. I wrote a correction that stated that the space holding the splices is too full. Now I understand that "too full" is an arbitrary term. What might be too full for me may not be too full for the next person. The question was asked, "What should we do?" I answered that a bigger space is required.

47073753262_5f5c0717f4_c-1.jpg

Where do the SE cables go at the bottom of the box? Do they make a 90 degree turn into the house or is it an allusion?

I don't know ICE looks like the circuit wiring fit from here, Did you do a count? Does the face plate shut?

The SE is in a conduit that emerges below grade. The code mentions space provided by the manufacturer for splices. I don’t think that the manufacturer would approve this.....of course I could be wrong about that.

A solar contractor placed this service panel upgrade in the garage wall with 29" from the face of the deadfront to the face of the block wall.

40267968243_7d68f78a43_c.jpg

Part of the concrete block had to be removed to clear the cover.

47180901272_d1c6888cbd_c.jpg

The contractor was wound up. He wanted to know how I trump Edison. "Edison spotted the meter right there." "Are you telling me that you know more than Edison?"

Last edited:
Part of the concrete block had to be removed to clear the cover.

h"

Thats a nice way if saying they used a BFH to correct a problem.
So if Edison marked thd meter location, how much / how far can the electrician move tye service point?

Major hack work.

46518911974_45cb42745c_c.jpg

46518912574_b3c5c5623f_c.jpg

The job is a simple, small balcony. The sheathing was called out as plywood on the plans and OSB was used. I have asked for an ICC ESR for the walking surface coating....several times....they used a Premium product.

47190491572_654e79165b_c.jpg

The work didn't pass a framing inspection and now the contractor asked for a final inspection. The owner is livid. Naturally, I am the bad guy in all of this.

It's now the next day and cooler heads have prevailed....they have discovered that it is never to late to start over.

Last edited:
Back to the meter thats way too close to the wall ... why does the contractor havd to ask edison to put it in a compliant lication? Why would edison think its ok to put it in a non compliant location? Seems like negligence on their part. But the electrician should have had enough sense to not install it there.
On the handrail ... whats the shiny pipe in the first picture?

Back to the meter thats way too close to the wall ... why does the contractor havd to ask edison to put it in a compliant lication? Why would edison think its ok to put it in a non compliant location? Seems like negligence on their part. But the electrician should have had enough sense to not install it there.
On the handrail ... whats the shiny pipe in the first picture?
Chimney.

This equipment doesn't really fall into any code other than the electrical ...... we don't regulate it. So I wrote a correction to support the plastic pipe.

33375874328_f45c55c52c_c.jpg

The monkey made me do it.

Last edited:
The damnedest things happen with water heaters. The transite vent is so long that spillage must go on for a long time before it heats up enough to draw. There is no visible means of support.

33375873328_6ca7e02bbe_c.jpg

Last edited:
The job is a pex repipe. This is the view under the kitchen sink.

46549261654_913558c242_c.jpg

This is an odd place for a ground clamp.....and what about the aluminum wire that sticks into the scene from who knows where. I didn't notice the aluminum wire until I was preparing the picture for the forum.

46549261864_7b6c434602_c.jpg

Last edited:
The damnedest things happen with water heaters. The transite vent is so long that spillage must go on for a long time before it heats up enough to draw. There is no visible means of support.

New WH insulating blanket mandated by the State!:eek: