• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

S2 and F2 addition to existing large greenhouse - help please!!!

Hyrax4978

Looking at providing an addition to an existing greenhouse(approx 170,000 SF). There is already a small existing area for B use that is only 2,000 SF. The addition is 30,000 SF and shall contain S2 and F2 uses. Based on what i see i can't even tell how they were allowed to build that big in the first place. It borders the property line so there is no 60 perimeter to call it unlimited. Even appendix C has a 60' perimeter for unlimited area.

Here are the issues I see.
C101.1 item 5: "detached" production greenhouses, an addition would go against the "detached"
C102.2: No 60' perimeter;
Also an addition would make it mixed use, and other uses are not listed in C102.2
Also an addition, if separated by a firewall would also get rid of the 60' perimeter on the existing greenhouse.
C103 says mixed occupancies shall be protected in accordance with section 508, which then gets you out of appendix C and back into normal codes.
I see that Table 508.4 doesn't have a separation requirement of F-2 and S-2. But if i can't show its unlimited area, we can't show the ability to create an addition.

the owner wants it added as an addition to his greenhouses, not to mention the site flow is perfect if its an addition. Making it a separate building is not something the owner wants to do.

Help! Any ideas???

Yes, in CT. Wouldnt adding the firewall make the existing greenhouse more non compliant by removing more of the already compremised 60' open perimeter.

Not sure of there is any benefit to a fire separation, fire walks are expensive, but I still am not sold the fire wall works, because the existing building is on the property line and at 170,000 SF needs to be unlimited, U use under spending c needs 60' perimeter and we don't have that in the existing building, adding a firewall removed more open perimeter from the existing U greenhouse.

So is this out in the country, kind of by itself or in city limits/city??

CT have any special rules for farm buildings?

So how old is the original building??

I'm told (unverified) the town allows greenhouses to be built without permits, which if true would explain why it's so big but not per code. CT allows U buildings to be unlimited, but only with 60' open perimeter and this building doesn't meet that. It's out in the country, they have allot of acreage, but the existing greenhouse building is right on one property line. The best place for the addition is attached to the greenhouses both for site flow and functionality of the space interaction with the greenhouses. I can't see any way to make this work without making the greenhouses less compliant than it already is. I will schedule a meeting with the town, but I was hoping to go there with a game plane, and all I can come up with right now is the fire wall but I still feel the fire wall makes the existing greenhouse less compliant than it already is.

Well if greenhouses are allowed with out permit

Than if you ad greenhouse, it does meet code

That city’s code.

Indirect two buildings

Put sixty or more feet between them

With a 10 or wider walk/drive between them

Maybe a canopy over it

??

Call OSBI and see if they will mod the 60' open perim unlimited area requirement? Although if it is "on" the property line then that will now be a party wall...

And BTW, the Town can't say that greenhouses don't need permits....Statewide code...