• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

The damnedest things happen with water heaters. The transite vent is so long that spillage must go on for a long time before it heats up enough to draw. There is no visible means of support.

Looks like the water heater is supporting it to me :p

Back when I was an HVAC installer, we were in this house that had what I guess was a transite vent in the middle of the house. We pull the furnace and a little while later while setting the new one the pipe came down and whacked a guy on the head. Probably concussed him, but in the 90s we didnt care.

We went up in the attic and there was nothing holding the pipe up but friction through the roof collar. We didn't need ICE to tell us to make it right :p

I am not familiar with the term transite so i looked it up (thank you google). Asbestos lined. From my experience in commercial construction i know that non friable acm can remain if it doeznt get disturbed, and/or is encapsulated. But they had to disturb the pipe to replace the WH and probably dusturbed the acm at the same time. So ehy is it allowed to remain?

The job is a new 200 amp 3 phase service....with a transformer. The electrical contractor does not know what A.I.C. stands for and series rating is out of the question.

40357707333_554e831cbc_c.jpg

The bollard is directly in front of the cabinet and 36" from the pole.

32380848517_f5ddd8c226_c.jpg

This lug is no way installed correctly.

32389454267_4f9ee2ebca_c.jpg

The contractor didn't know what it means to isolate the neutral. I need to get rid of this contractor.

46608231034_b5549bee19_c.jpg

Last edited:
The correction stated "Self-tapping sheet metal screws do not create a bond for the service entrance conduit and hub".

They didn't change anything because "You used the wrong grammar". Naturally I was curious about that so I asked what grammar would be better suited for the occasion. Apparently the correct grammar would have included specific instructions on how to bond the conduit. I thought of some other grammar that I considered using.....but I haven't been in real trouble for weeks so I held back.

46407778155_97119e4783_c.jpg

Last edited:
The correction stated "Self-tapping sheet metal screws do not create a bond for the service entrance conduit and hub".

They didn't change anything because "You used the wrong grammar". Naturally I was curious about that so I asked what grammar would be better suited for the occasion. Apparently the correct grammar would have included specific instructions on how to bond the conduit. I thought of some other grammar that I considered using.....but I haven't been in real trouble for weeks so I held back.

yeah, they will be replacing that panel altogether.

yeah, they will be replacing that panel altogether.
This is the second panel that they have installed. The first panel was too close to a swimming pool. It is still there as they are waiting for me to approve the new panel. The service entrance conduit is inside the wall. So I have asked them to bond the conduit with a clamp and solid #4 to the ground bus.
I realize that the cabinet listing has been rendered void by the way the hub was mounted. I am convinced that the fix is good enough. Actually, the fix with a clamp provides a more robust ground path than would a myers hub or conduit and lock ring. So, no harm, no foul.

This is not the first time that this has happened......you know, these solar contractors are not all that sharp.

Here is the first panel that is too close to the pool:

33451795188_c9bcb27d29_c.jpg

Last edited:
Holy crap. My girlfriend is from France and knows nothing about building codes. She was just looking over my shoulder as I brought this picture up and without any prodding whatsoever, she says to "Can I ask you a question?" She then points to the panel near the pool in the post above and says "Is it normal that it is so close to the water?" Even a layperson with zero code experience from another country knows this is a problem. Wow, I'm floored.

My girlfriend....wait a minute, I married her...is from China and she wouldn't have a clue. Most of the folks on planet Earth have a misplaced trust in the people that are supposed professionals. I grimace when I hear owners say "I am glad that this is being inspected". I am on the inside looking out.

47278904612_4e7d3a03b0_c.jpg

Double the trouble. The disconnects have fuses so working space is required.

The junction box needs help.

46608367974_46e1aec51d_c.jpg

I had permits for one furnace and one condenser. There's two of each. The owner told me that the same company installed them both.....one set six months ago and the other set six weeks ago. I wrote a bunch of corrections and put Xs2 after each one.

Last edited:
46608438994_186631e523_c.jpg

46608438294_551cc3601f_c.jpg

The job was raising the footing. The hardware is a pile driven until there is a given amount of resistance. I think that it is more likely stabilizing the footing as opposed to raising it. I asked for a compaction report for the soil that is going back into the trench. I was overruled.

Last edited:
ICE - can you explain why you requested a compaction report? If the hardware was already driven into the subgrade the backfill would be non-structural, wouldn't it? I understand that if they don't compact it, eventually it will settle and create ponds or a trench. Just trying to learn here.

ICE - can you explain why you requested a compaction report?

Our standard footing is required to be 24" into undisturbed earth. The excavation has removed all of the dirt to the side and from underneath the footing. The building is now supported on the piles that are spaced fairly far apart. There is a square steel tube spanning between piles but it is small in comparison to the footing. Having no support other than loose dirt under the majority of the footing seems wrong. I suggested a slurry (in Florida it's called "flowable fill") to be placed under the footing with compacted soil for the balance of the trench. Nothing is deemed compacted without a compaction report so I asked for a compaction report.

Our office manager decided that none of that is necessary. Beyond that the entire scope of work is a voluntary retrofit which is exempt from permit. A permit is obtained to satisfy an insurance company. I tend to overbuild everything and that's not a welcome trait for a building inspector.

Last edited:
I don't understand how you get a compaction test performed on soil that is not placed yet. I am also not understanding how the backfill is of such concern since the hardware installed is what's keeping the footer secure. I am assuming the job as engineered, even if by the company that manufacturers the pile driven hardware.

The compaction report was to be done after the soil is put back. There is an engineer as well as a special inspector. Apparently I am the only one that's involved that thinks compacted soil under and around the footing is warranted. The consensus is that the piles mitigate all concerns. I just figured that since the soil is going back in the trench it would be a nice touch to provide 90% compaction. ...I get it now....the proof in the pudding is that there's no need for any back-fill at all.....piles of piles.

Last edited:
The compaction report was to be done after the soil is put back. There is an engineer as well as a special inspector. Apparently I am the only one that's involved that thinks compacted soil under and around the footing is warranted. The consensus is that the piles mitigate all concerns. I just figured that since the soil is going back in the trench it would be a nice touch to provide 90% compaction. ...I get it now....the proof in the pudding is that there's no need for any back-fill at all.....piles of piles.
Compacted fill is definitely a decent idea, although I would tend to agree, not warranted.

Aside from that, being a former tester, there is absolutely no way to test the compaction in that trench accurately.

Compacted fill is definitely a decent idea, although I would tend to agree, not warranted.

Aside from that, being a former tester, there is absolutely no way to test the compaction in that trench accurately.
Please tell me why it is not possible to perform a soil density test after the soil goes back in.

Thanks

Please tell me why it is not possible to perform a soil density test after the soil goes back in.

Thanks
Most conventional way of testing is a nuclear densometer - process is drive a pin vertically into the ground, set gauge over hole, drop arm with rad source into hole, measure resistance, correlate to density.

How do you do this with a footing sitting on top of the backfill?

Here is a conceptual image
images

I suggested two sack concrete under the footing and the rest would be compacted soil. It would be cheap redundancy if the piles don’t perform as expected......that and it didn’t occur to me that the soil is window dressing..

Last edited:
The last time that I saw this panel it faced the hallway that is on the other side of the wall.

47354217751_f0ff0b9360_c.jpg

When this panel is replaced it will face the hallway.

47301532462_6fa7d71fdd_c.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 3989

View attachment 3990

The job was raising the footing. The hardware is a pile driven until there is a given amount of resistance. I think that it is more likely stabilizing the footing as opposed to raising it. I asked for a compaction report for the soil that is going back into the trench. I was overruled.

We recently had someone undertake a similar repair due to a footing being undermined from flooding last spring. In researching the product, the piles take the full load of the foundation. So, in this case, the manager made the right call in my opinion.

2012 IBC
1804.2 Placement of backfill.
The excavation outside the foundation shall be backfilled with soil that is free of organic material, construction debris, cobbles and boulders or with a controlled low-strength material (CLSM). The backfill shall be placed in lifts and compacted in a manner that does not damage the foundation or the waterproofing or dampproofing material.
Exception: CLSM need not be compacted.

2012 IBC
1804.2 Placement of backfill.
The excavation outside the foundation shall be backfilled with soil that is free of organic material, construction debris, cobbles and boulders or with a controlled low-strength material (CLSM). The backfill shall be placed in lifts and compacted in a manner that does not damage the foundation or the waterproofing or dampproofing material.
Exception: CLSM need not be compacted.
Compacted is different than requiring compaction testing.

Compacted is an arbitrary standard understood by most to mean firm and unyielding.
Compaction testing requires development of a 100% value by means of a proctor (commonly D1557 or D698). Testing would be extreme overkill for a foot of foundation wall backfill. Especially when next week the home owner could plant shrubbery throughout.

It’s closer to three feet. The point of it all is to arrest a subsiding foundation. The piles have been forced into earth until the friction reaches a point that is deemed sufficient to support the structure. What are the conditions that effect the sufficiency of that friction? Are those conditions fluid? Has this pile system never failed?
So I asked for support under the foundation in the form of slurry and compacted soil for the balance. The two guys with shovels said that they usually just toss the dirt. I wanted to be sure that the soil was compacted so I asked for a compaction report.

I guess I question an incomplete engineered process.