• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Toilet Paper Dispenser Recessed In Rated Wall

fj80

Sawhorse
Is a toilet paper dispenser allowed to be recessed into a 1-hour fire rated wall and still maintain the fire rating?

I have seen that done many times but the recess needs to be sheathed in gyp. bd. to maintain the rating

Is a toilet paper dispenser allowed to be recessed into a 1-hour fire rated wall and still maintain the fire rating?
from 2009 IBC ::

713.3.2 Membrane penetrations. Membrane penetrations shall comply with Section 713.3.1. Where walls or partitions are required to have a fire-resistance rating, recessed fixtures shall be installed such that the required fire-resistance will not be reduced.

4. Membrane penetrations by boxes other than electrical boxes, provided such penetrating items and the annular space between the wall membrane and the box, are protected by an approved membrane penetration firestop system installed as tested in accordance with ASTM E 814 or UL 1479, with a minimum positive pressure differential of 0.01 inch (2.49 Pa) of water, and shall have an F and T rating of not less than the required fire-resistance rating of the wall penetrated and be installed in accordance with their listing.

Marks picture is a very common way to do a recessed into a fire barrier/partition. Check the fire wall detail to make sure the insulation (if any) is for sound and not part of the fire rated assembly. I have seen some proprietary walls that required the insulation maintain a minimum thickness.This would be a tiled bathroom wall example requiring mineral fiber insulation 3 1/2 inches thick

View attachment 2189

View attachment 2190

View attachment 2189

View attachment 2190

/monthly_2016_03/572953f5dc140_GAdetail.JPG.3d0a29995fef8f0e5f32138db92e3991.JPG

/monthly_2016_03/572953f5ddf51_GAdetail.JPG.34e2ef18bdd9bb964c74e5141cd1076f.JPG

I do not know what was originally posted But here is another example of a recessed item in a rated wall

Thanks for the quick follow up...The semi-recessed detail is probably ideal, but not for an after the fact installation....I like the putty pad idea!

Also have Hilti working on a fire-caulked detail which they say will work... i can upload it once we receive it if anyone's interested what they come up with

Thanks for the quick follow up...The semi-recessed detail is probably ideal, but not for an after the fact installation....I like the putty pad idea!

Also have Hilti working on a fire-caulked detail which they say will work... i can upload it once we receive it if anyone's interested what they come up with

Any decent framer can create the backing to support the additional layers for the required gyp board within the hole needed for the device. once again, not rocket science.
putty pads may be a way but not approved for that use.

I do not know what was originally posted But here is another example of a recessed item in a rated wall

if to maintain the rating would not the side pieces of gyp board into the recessed area also need to be two layers? you have on the right side 1 layer and backed up with wood studs.