• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Connecting Two Levels

Given:

A stairway connecting two stories needs to be 1 hour fire rated with 60 minute rated doors.
But one or two steps up to a stage would not necessitate a fire-rated enclosure. Seven steps up to a loading dock would not necessitate a fire-rated enclosure.

In my attached illustration, I have two existing levels within a non-sprinkled building are being connected together with a new stairway.

Question:

How many steps should trigger an enclosed stairway rather than an open stairway that provides a "change in elevation"? In my example, there will be ten steps.

Again I say that this is a non-sprinkled building. Is it a valid idea to say that the stairway does not need to be fire-rated?

Thanks

ICC Certified Plan Reviewer
NFPA Certified Fire Plan Examiner

Attachments

• StairQuestion.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
First, stairways connecting two adjacent stories do not necessarily need to be enclosed. Second, I’m not sure how the building you presented relates to the grade plane, but if the level below the upper level with the stair is a basement, then you only have a one-story building. Third, by definition, if it has one or more risers then it is a stair, and a stairway is one or more flights of stairs. So what you show is a stairway, whether enclosed or not.

Or is it just a change in elevation,, of one floor/ story ?

Like you are walking down a corridor and the floor level goes up, say using a ramp.

Given:

A stairway connecting two stories needs to be 1 hour fire rated with 60 minute rated doors.
But one or two steps up to a stage would not necessitate a fire-rated enclosure. Seven steps up to a loading dock would not necessitate a fire-rated enclosure.

In my attached illustration, I have two existing levels within a non-sprinkled building are being connected together with a new stairway.

Question:

How many steps should trigger an enclosed stairway rather than an open stairway that provides a "change in elevation"? In my example, there will be ten steps.

Again I say that this is a non-sprinkled building. Is it a valid idea to say that the stairway does not need to be fire-rated?

Thanks

Is there a door proposed to enter the stair?? Or if not needed, just cased opening??

Plus, is this part of a required exiting system?

Or is it just a change in elevation,, of one floor/ story ?

Like you are walking down a corridor and the floor level goes up, say using a ramp.
That's what we don't really know--it all depends on if that lower story qualifies as a basement or not per the location of the grade plane. If it is a basement, then the story on the left and the upper story on the right are considered the first story and the stairway is connecting two levels of the first story (elevation change per Section 1003.5, 2018 IBC).

If the lower level is considered a story above grade plane, then the stairway is connecting a first story level with a second story level. As I hinted to earlier, a stairway connecting two adjacent stories does not necessarily require an enclosure. If travel distance is not an issue, the stairway can be an exit access stairway per one of the conditions listed in Section 1019.3, 2018 IBC (Condition #1 would apply in this case).

Based on the diagram provided in the OP, it appears to be a slab-on-grade one-story building on the left, with the stairway connecting to a possible two-story building on the right (depending on the elevation of the lower level above grade plane).

This has been very helpful. Generally speaking, I prefer to use the term "levels" because I do not know what we accomplish with the definition of the individual "story". Likewise CDA would suggest that this stair could provide the same function as a ramp connection. The existing exterior exits are sufficient and this new stair provides a CONVENIENT connection between (1) the left side garage at grade level and (2) the office area on the right side of the building section. That garage space is being converted into office space. On the right side of the building section, there is a lower garden level with offices on the upper level. The garden level below is (and will be) fire separated from all other office spaces above and the new offices within the existing garage space. The answer to my question will determine whether-or-not a new fire-rated door needs to be inserted under an existing steel beam. And the bottom of that beam is only 6'-9" above the finish floor. See my dilemma? It is difficult to get a new hollow metal frame to fit between the bottom of the steal beam and finish floor - and still have enough room for a minimum door height of 6'-8".

I hope that all makes sense. If the stairs do not provide a required means of egress and the stairs connect two office areas, then (I think) I can feel good about the absence of a door at the top of the stairs.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBI
I think it is relevant to distinguish between a "story" and a "level." You can have a single-story building with multiple levels. A basement is also considered a "story," but it is not a "story above grade plan"; thus, it is not counted towards building height, but is counted, for example, when determining the number of stories connected by a shaft, hoistway, or stairway enclosure for fire-resistance-rating purposes.

Reactions: JBI
If the stairs do not provide a required means of egress and the stairs connect two office areas, then (I think) I can feel good about the absence of a door at the top of the stairs.
An unenclosed stairway can be considered a required means of egress, provided it complies with the requirements for an exit access stairway per Section 1019.3 (2015 or 2018 IBC) or Section 1009.3 (2012 IBC).

BTW, the handrail on your drawing is incorrect. The handrail at the bottom must extend one full tread depth beyond the last riser at the same slope of the stairs, and there is no longer a requirement to have a 12-inch lateral extension beyond that.

Your additional comments are good.

For RGLA, I have tweaked my handrail extension to include the unnecessary 12 inch horizontal extension in addition to the (equal to tread depth) extension beyond the last stair riser. See attached building section below.

As for the absence of the elevator, I can only think of these two exceptions:

[ beginning of quote ]

2010 ADA Standards, Title III, Department of Justice

(iii) Exception for disproportionality.

(A) Alterations made to provide an accessible path of travel to the altered area will be deemed disproportionate to the overall alteration when the cost exceeds 20% of the cost of the alteration to the primary function area.

Subpart D of 28 CFR Part 36

(d) Elevator Exemption.

(2) This section does not require the installation of an elevator in a facility that is less than three stories or has less than 3,000 square feet per story, except with respect to any facility that houses a shopping center or shopping mall, or a professional office of a health care provider.

[ end of quote ]

The estimated cost for a new elevator - that would meet the approval of the State Elevator Inspector -would be $140,000. The cost of this interior remodel is an estimated $250,000. Therefore if there is an elevator out there that will cost only ($250,000 * 20% = ) $50K and meets the scrutiny of the State Elevator Inspector, then an elevator would be something to consider.

The purpose of this interior remodel is to provide an easier public access to an existing facility because the new exterior entry door will be at grade level. That new public entrance will be located within a few feet of a new van-accessible parking stall. Furthermore, most parts of this existing building are already accessible by other entrances. To provide an elevator shaft and elevator cab and elevator machine room and elevator lobby would be a great idea. But it is not necessary to spend an additional 56% of the construction budget towards a “convenient elevator” adjacent to the “convenient stair access”. Now somebody is going to suggest that there is a $20,000 solution available and provide me a link to a residential-style chair lift. I already tried to sell my elevator inspector on that idea. He simple says that those are a "bad idea" and will not approve anything other than a robust elevator system found in your typical government building. We are not looking for ways to spend more money. We are already spending money to meet the needs of the wheelchair user by providing a designated parking stall, accessible entrance, and grade-level office area where there was previously a garage for employees only.

Thanks again everybody!

Attachments

• BuildingSection.pdf
    347.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: