• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

RV Park

I wouldn't permit/inspect the stairway either, unless it was a required means of travel between two things that are I-code regulated. If it's a stair connecting two cart paths, that's not anything the IBC would have any jurisdiction over.

The RV's is pretty simple to me - if it has wheels, it's beyond the scope of any of the I-codes. Therefore, anything attached to that which has wheels is beyond the scope too - so the decks, carports, etc. would be out of any I-code jurisdiction. And were I an owner of one of those contraptions, that's what I'd beat you in court with - you have no jurisdiction if it's not a dwelling (IRC) or a place open to the public (IBC).

The other commercial structures in the RV park, that are open to public and/or tenant use (restaurant, clubhouse, bath house, office), would be covered by the IBC. But stretching that to the RV's/accessories themselves doesn't work.

This is all just my opinion, and I'm not a lawyer. I just think you'll have a hard time convincing a judge that a fifth-wheel camper or (even worse) a powered motor home is a dwelling subject to the I-codes. And if there is a not a dwelling, then anything that is an accessory to the not-a-dwelling would not be covered under an I-code, either.

I don't have a problem (not really...) with your jurisdiction wanting to regulate these. I just don't think stretching the I-codes to regulate them is the correct way to do it. Stretching any code to fit any thing is bad governing, IMO.

We have a mobile home park here in town who wanted to be able to rent lots to transient workers with RV's (pipeline guys, etc.). I couldn't cover it with the I-codes or the mobile home regs. we have, so we wrote an ordinance specifically for this use within our zoning code. It covers the standard zoning stuff, and has provisions for using the RV temporarily as a dwelling - fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, etc. You could do something similar. I'll email you our ordinance if you want to see it, or I could even post it here - it's not very big. The ordinance isn't even close to perfect, but it's better than stretching a code that doesn't apply.