• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

When does a bedroom become an apartment?

Thanksgiving Dinner
13619242_f520.jpg
Just like mom used to make.

It's clearly an IRC duplex to me. Common kitchen on both sides, right? So any extra cabinets/counters/"cooking areas"/etc. are just that - extra. If you're reviewing a single-family house and the wife wants a countertop and cabinets in the master bedroom are you going to stop her? Same thing. It's two, 6 bedroom duplexes. Sell the guy a permit and roll on.

I took out the stove and oven years ago. Where the kitchen was is more like a home office. Single guy in a man cave house. Don't cook much. A lot of take out and traveling. Only have a microwave, toaster/oven and a coffee machine.

[RB] DWELLING. Any building that contains one or two
dwelling units used, intended, or designed to be built, used,
rented, leased, let or hired out to be occupied, or that are
occupied for living purposes.
[RB] DWELLING UNIT. A single unit providing complete
independent living facilities for one or more persons, including
permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking
and sanitation.

Is my home no longer a dwelling under the IRC?

If I do any improvements or build a deck would I now be under the IBC?

Should I have applied for a Change of Occupancy when I took out my cooking appliances?

I took out the stove and oven years ago. Where the kitchen was is more like a home office. Single guy in a man cave house. Don't cook much. A lot of take out and traveling. Only have a microwave, toaster/oven and a coffee machine.

[RB] DWELLING. Any building that contains one or two
dwelling units used, intended, or designed to be built, used,
rented, leased, let or hired out to be occupied, or that are
occupied for living purposes.
[RB] DWELLING UNIT. A single unit providing complete
independent living facilities for one or more persons, including
permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking
and sanitation.

Is my home no longer a dwelling under the IRC?

If I do any improvements or build a deck would I now be under the IBC?

Should I have applied for a Change of Occupancy when I took out my cooking appliances?

Well what is a studio?? Does it really provide for sleeping??

And, is cooking defined?? As in back to microwave

2012 IRC
KITCHEN. Kitchen shall mean an area used, or designated to be used, for the preparation of food.

So now you have a 12 unit apartment building

"Preparation" key word, doesn't differentiate between hot or cold foods ( nee vegetarian).
A "place to eat" doesn't work because folks eat everywhere.
Does not to cook imply the use of heat and is not heat a potential source of fires?
If a kitchen does it not then have specific electrical requirements (separate circuits, GFI's, water proximity? ?