• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Are these receptacles required to be GFCI protected?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
This is a NEMA 3R enclosure that houses gate control equipment and has some receptacles for plugging in equipment such as a UPS and some transformers. Of course while servicing the equipment it is a great place to plug in while working outside.

In your opinion, based on the code language for this commercial application, (would it matter if it was residential?) are these receptacles required to be GFCI protected. Oh and by the way, no, they do not come built in that cabinet assembly, they are added.

IMG_3744.JPG

If they were GFCI receptacles and they trip, you wouldn't be able to get through the gate and in itself could be a greater safety issue in an emergency. Now if there was one on the exterior of the cabinet, I say need GFCI with weatherproof cover.

I would say yes, regardless of where they are located, you are still standing on terra firma if you are touching them. That would be my correction, GFCI protection required. Getting out of the gate is outside the scope of the code. JMHO

I would say yes, regardless of where they are located, you are still standing on terra firma if you are touching them. That would be my correction, GFCI protection required. Getting out of the gate is outside the scope of the code. JMHO

Dang! I thought I could get it past you! The NEC doesn't care about the inconveniences of a gate not working!

If they were GFCI receptacles and they trip, you wouldn't be able to get through the gate and in itself could be a greater safety issue in an emergency. Now if there was one on the exterior of the cabinet, I say need GFCI with weatherproof cover.

Gates have mechanical release safety measures.

So the answer is yes, they are required to be GFCI protected. There are only 2 exceptions that would apply to this section of the code in 210.8 and neither one of these are applicable. This is a gate for a church parking lot.

Exception No. 1 to (3) and (4): Receptacles that are not readily accessible
and are supplied by a branch circuit dedicated to electric snowmelting,
deicing, or pipeline and vessel heating equipment shall be
permitted to be installed in accordance with 426.28 or 427.22, as
applicable.

Exception No. 2 to (4): In industrial establishments only, where the
conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified
personnel are involved, an assured equipment grounding conductor
program as specified in 590.6(B)(3) shall be permitted for only those
receptacle outlets used to supply equipment that would create a greate
hazard if power is interrupted or having a design that is not compatible
with GFCI protection.