• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ELECTRICAL WARNING TAPE

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Was reviewing a plan to provide an accessory building with a circuit from the house panel and came across this IRC2012, section E3803.2 Warning ribbon.

I've never seen this installed and frankly was not aware of the requirement:

E3803.2; Underground service conductors that are not encased in concrete and buried 18-inches or more below grade shall have their location identified with a warning ribbon not less than 12-inches above the underground installation.

Do you see this in the field. I had to look up the product on line.

Was reviewing a plan to provide an accessory building with a circuit from the house panel and came across this IRC2012, section E3803.2 Warning ribbon.

I've never seen this installed and frankly was not aware of the requirement:

E3803.2; Underground service conductors that are not encased in concrete and buried 18-inches or more below grade shall have their location identified with a warning ribbon not less than 12-inches above the underground installation.

Do you see this in the field. I had to look up the product on line.

That requirement has nothing to do with a branch circuit(s) or feeder(s) from one building to the next. It also only applies to direct burial conductors, not conductors in conduit.

images

When was the last time you have seen service conductors to a house not in conduit?

I can't say I have ever seen the ribbon.
I've never seen service conductors to your house in conduit in Greenville South Carolina or here in Louisville Kentucky. They are all direct buried and unfortunately the homeowner is responsible for the underground feed from the handhold or transformer to the meter base.133