• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

There's a furnace in there but I can't get to it.

46915781054_480d12a25f_b.jpg

I am at the access which is a hole in a closet ceiling. You can see the cover on the right. This would lead to the back side of the furnace .... if it were not blocked off with duct.

33762468298_24edd49239_b.jpg

Of all the things that you write up, is that one that you let go?

ANSI/UL 2158A is pretty specific that these transition ducts "...are intended to connect a clothes dryer to an existing permanent duct provided as a part of the building structure. The duct is intended to vent lint and humid air from drying clothes."

UL Listing link for reference: https://iq.ulprospector.com/en/profile?e=208972

Thermofin duct is UL-A100-U and is not listed as a transition duct (UL 2158A) and it does not meet the requirement as "smooth" to be used as a dryer duct.
Hopefully it is a bathroom exhaust

Reactions: ICE
You got your UL approved 1599B flexible duct tape it must okay!

Do you make them staple the 12/2 w/g or is that the least of your worries on this inspection?

That one flex duct in the first photo is kinda crimped not giving the customer the maximum air flow, it's mess'n with the air vortex.

The first inspection was done by another inspector. There was a few corrections but no mention of doing it over. I went for the second inspection. I wrote six corrections. I told the contractor that access to the firebox side is required. The contractor completed four corrections and then requested an inspection.

The contractor is a large company. I’m not telling them something that they don’t know. This mistake is about as dumb as it gets. There’s no cutting in a new access. The furnace must be turned 90°. I was told that they did it like this so that the existing roof jack can be used for the vent. The roof covering is Spanish tile ...... breaks easy. He was trying to talk me out of the “do it over” correction. Imagine that.

Last edited:
Every bit of the roofing that was on the house made it across two sheets of OSB on the way to a roll-off bin parked in the driveway.

32707940737_21726d7037_b.jpg

46926590314_a18bbfe610_b.jpg

Last edited:
Paint booth, garage or shed structure, what ever they claim, doesn't pass the zoning code test in front of the building line set back. needs to be removed, dog can stay, guarding the appliance.

This is not patently dangerous....unless of course it is a paint booth, but I doubt that it is. There's no need to poke a hornets nest until someone is complaining. I see plenty of what we would call illegal. By plenty I mean a ton of it. I keep my mouth shut if I don't see danger. This is such an eyesore that I am surprised that nobody has pitched a bitch. The neighborhood is decent so perhaps the occupant is a nut case and everybody is afraid of him. That would be reason enough to look away young man, look away.

A father and son came to the counter this morning. The son is late 50s and the father is late really old. The father had an under slab leak. A copper pipe developed a pin hole. A wood floor warped. An insurance company sent a contractor. The contractor removed a 4'x16" stretch of slab and replaced 3' of copper pipe with PEX. The slab was patched and the wood floor is being replaced. No permit has been obtained.

The owner is concerned about the PEX and he is not sure if it is legal. The PEX was not sleeved and Shark Bite fittings were used. So I know that the PEX shall be sleeved. A sleeve would need to be sealed or emerge from the earth at both ends. I am not sure about the Shark Bite fittings located under a slab.

47619923932_860e812cf4_b.jpg

I found this on the internet:
Underground burial of SharkBite brass fittings requires that the fitting be wrapped in an impermeable material to protect the connection from ground contaminants. Stretches up to 300% for easy use and creates a watertight and airtight seal.

Alrighty then, it can be buried. But what about buried under a slab?

Last edited:
But what about buried under a slab?

I'm seeing it here buried below the basement floor slab, most of the time it's not PEX brand, usually Blue Crestline 200 psi. If going through a footer it's being sleeved and I haven't seen it through a foundation wall in a coons age.

Now you have an insulated break in the continuity of the required copper water pipe bonding. Violation #1
Thanks, I hadn’t thought of that. I told the owner that a permit was required and the PEX shall be replaced with copper.....and brazed fittings.