• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pavilion Occupancy....sprinklers?

Outdoor areas, such as pavilions and patios, may have no walls but will have an occupant load and other factors that identify the assembly occupancy as such. If any of the thresholds are reached requiring sprinkler protection, then sprinkler protection must be provided whether there are exterior walls or not.

@ ~ @ ~ @

FWIW, ...I would classify it as a U !.......Classifying this as
an A use doesn't make sense to me.

Although the real potential for some type of fire event to
occur in this structure, and adding to it the mix of alcohol
to "liquored up" people, ...distracting loud music and the
basic human condition of "Me Always First" [ MAF ], ...this
thing not having any walls is the key........Immediate egress
in multiple directions !

One thought on this is: "IF \ When", the powers-that-be decide
to enclose \ expand \ add onto this pavilion, have documentation
signed, recorded & retrievable; for whatever the heck that will
be worth, ...that full sprinkling of the whole structure Shall Be
required !......Did ya get that, ...SHALL BE ! :)

I'm going back down in to my "below grade" bunker now...

% * % * %

@ ~ @ ~ @

FWIW, ...I would classify it as a U !.......Classifying this as
an A use doesn't make sense to me.

Although the real potential for some type of fire event to
occur in this structure, and adding to it the mix of alcohol
to "liquored up" people, ...distracting loud music and the
basic human condition of "Me Always First" [ MAF ], ...this
thing not having any walls is the key........Immediate egress
in multiple directions !

One thought on this is: "IF \ When", the powers-that-be decide
to enclose \ expand \ add onto this pavilion, have documentation
signed, recorded & retrievable; for whatever the heck that will
be worth, ...that full sprinkling of the whole structure Shall Be
required !......Did ya get that, ...SHALL BE ! :)

I'm going back down in to my "below grade" bunker now...

% * % * %

On what grounds? That would be a level 2 alteration which would not require it (sprinkler upgrade)....Maybe if you were to call it a change of use at that point (which I would argue.) If you have the authority to exempt sprinklers in open structures, great, but my code wouldn't let me...

Remember, fire sprinklers can serve one of two purposes - Prolonging tendable conditions in the room or area of fire origin for up to ten minutes after a fire starts (residential) or property protection (Commercial). Both fire sprinkler systems can do a little of both.

My question is if the restroom building or concession stand catches on fire, what guarantee can you make that these fires won't damage the overhead pavilion? Remember the codes are a minimum and are also supposed to protect our first responders.... I have been in a building collapse - and suffered some injuries from that.

Hi this is Ty Grant out of Texas, i’ve been been reading your form on the pavilion you built for a Beer Gardens/events, we are looking to do the same thing here in Texas and I would love to run a few questions by you if you don’t mind passing along your email or phone number that would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time!
Ty Grant
Email: ty.grant@5starrental.com

Hi this is Ty Grant out of Texas, i’ve been been reading your form on the pavilion you built for a Beer Gardens/events, we are looking to do the same thing here in Texas and I would love to run a few questions by you if you don’t mind passing along your email or phone number that would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time!
Ty Grant
Email: ty.grant@5starrental.com

Will this be in an incorporated city or county area??