• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessibility Beyond the Requirements

jar546

Forum Coordinator
OK I have a good one here and looking for some guidance and information. Here is the scenario.

A high rise condo has an owner that now lacks the ability to open the entrance door to the condo. It apparently meets the requirements of ADA for pull. She has asked the condo association to change the entrance to push button access but they refuse unless she pays for it. More info as it becomes available.
Thoughts?

That sounds like a straight up Reasonable Modification and should be allowed at her expense, unless state/local law shifts the cost to the association.

Is the door fire rated? Just had a peer ask me a similar question where someone had a mobility issue but the unit door is rated which complicates things, but Lori might know of a solution, I have never seen an automatic operator on a fire door....Interlock with F/A to fail secure?