• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Masonry piers for exterior walls

Flexo

The 2012 IRC R404.1.9.2, indicates that masonry piers may support girders that carry exterior walls. R404.1.9.3 states that masonry piers supporting braced wall panels must be engineered. R404.10.9(2) reiterates the need for engineered design when braced wall panels are supported with pier foundations. I asked an engineer if a braced wall line could be built on a girder supported by masonry piers without an engineered design, (in light of the verbiage at R404.1.9.3). He stated that this was acceptable since the piers are supporting a girder not braced wall panels, the braced wall line sits on the girder. I have a co-worker who would require engineering. How would you proceed with this? Is an engineered design required? The proposed construction is in seismic design category B.

Ultimately the lateral loads have to end up going into the foundation - so they get transferred from the braced wall panels into the floor... and the floor is connected to the masonry piers. I don't think the code provides a method of attachment between the two for the given condition. I would agree with your coworker - and interpret it as engineered design required. I think the code section you stated is pretty clear.