• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessibility Entrances

Wow! a picture is worth a thousand words. I just visited a women's club in Bakersfield (formerly a mortuary) on a flat site with similar conditions.
How many "required" exits must you have? they must terminate at grade to be accessible or provide safe refuge areas.
What you have is similar to other topographically challenged sites. provide directional signage at entrances that don't coincide with accessible sidewalk slopes and/or consider install a lift?.

Wow! a picture is worth a thousand words. I just visited a women's club in Bakersfield (formerly a mortuary) on a flat site with similar conditions.
How many "required" exits must you have? they must terminate at grade to be accessible or provide safe refuge areas.
What you have is similar to other topographically challenged sites. provide directional signage at entrances that don't coincide with accessible sidewalk slopes and/or consider install a lift?.
please clarify I do not understand exactly what you are saying, if I’m providing signage at entrances that don't coincide with accessible sidewalk slopes then I’m ok

Where is the accessible parking located? public sidewalk location? where is the bus stop located? how do people arrive at the site?

The original poster asked a question about IBC. There was no mention of ADAS.
RGLA was correct to point out that if the door functions solely as an exit, then it does not need to meet the requirements for an entrance.

Since ADAguy mentioned Bakersfield, I'll take it a step further. FYI, if the project was located in California, there would be additional requirements for ground-floor exits as follows. Note that California gives exceptions for stairwells, etc. The italicized words appear only in the California codes, not ADA:

ADA and CBC 11B-206 Accessible Routes
11B-206.3 Location. Accessible routes shall coincide with or be located in the same area as general circulation paths. Where circulation paths are interior, required accessible routes shall also be interior. An accessible route shall not pass through kitchens, storage rooms, restrooms, closets or other spaces used for similar purposes, except as permitted by Chapter 10.

11B-206.4 Entrances. Entrances shall be provided in accordance with Section 11B-206.4. Entrance doors, doorways, and gates shall comply with Section 11B-404 and shall be on an accessible route complying with Section 11B-402.
Exceptions:
1. Reserved.
2. Reserved.
11B-206.4.1 Entrances and exterior ground floor exits.
All entrances and exterior ground-floor exits to buildings and facilities shall comply with Section 11B-404.
Exceptions:
1. Exterior ground floor exits serving smoke-proof enclosures, stairwells, and exit doors serving stairs only shall not be required to comply with Section 11B-404.
2. Exits in excess of those required by Chapter 10, and which are more than 24 inches (610 mm) above grade shall not be required to comply with Section 11B-404. Directional signs shall comply with Chapter 10, Section 1009.10.

It makes a big difference on what type of occupancy this building is. Is it apartments, offices, mixed use?
If it is apartments usually only the ground floor needs to be accessible. If the stories that are not the ground floor total under 3,000 sq. ft. they usually do not need to be accessible.

Not accessible but still required to have accessible elements (hardware, restrooms, min./max. dimensions, etc.)
If the door opening to grade is not an exit (lacks an exterior level landing) then it should be indicated as such.

Again, contrary to ICC, local codes cannot be less than ADASAD minimums. This is not indicated by C of O's, contrary to what an owner may mistakenly believe.

Where is the accessible parking located? public sidewalk location? where is the bus stop located? how do people arrive at the site?
See attached site plan

Attachments

• 3393-100 College Road Plot Plan 4 25 19.pdf
    6.2 MB · Views: 5
To makes things easier for everybody and for me I will post a few comments I got from the local building inspector on my plans, please if anyone can help out with solutions or showing that he is not right with the code I will appreciate.

see below

Thanks

Page A-3

13. Provide accessible means of egress in accordance with Sec. 1009 of the IBC- where more than one means of egress are required by sec. 1006.2 or 1006.3 of the IBC from any accessible space,each accessible portion of the space shall be served by not less than two accessible means of egress- 44" min. width between handrails required.

17. Three story interior stairway is to be constructed as a fire barrier in accordance with Sec.707- sta irway is to be fully enclosed on all sides and provided with 1hr rated self closing doors at each floor level (Sec. 1019.3 &1023.2 IBC) - provide UL design number and detail- add to wall type legend

23. Provide exterior area for assisted rescue at bottom landing of both exterior exit stairs (1009.7 IBC)

Page A-4

30. Elevator is to be relocated to area near main entry- HC accessible route is to be located in the same area as the general circulation path (1104.5 IBC)

33. Main entrance and service entrance/exit- provide exterior area for assisted rescue at top landing of exterior stairs

34. Restroom near office #1- must be HC accessible- 1fixture of each type is to be HC accessible- show and note on plans (Sec. 1109.2 IBC)

a. Entry door cannot swing into HC clear floor area or turning radius (603.2.2 A117.1-2009)

b. HC toilet door requires 12" push side clearance upon exiting- door cannot swing into HC turning radius or clear floor space

35. Restroom next to prep room - must be HC accessible- 1fixture of each type is to be HC accessible- show and note on plans (Sec. 1109.2 IBC)

a. HC Toilet- door swing must be reversed and cannot swing into clear floor space or turning radius (604.9.3 &603.2.2 ICC A117.12009}
b. Faucet spacing to be a min. of 30" center to center (405.3.11PC)
c. Push and pull side clearance dimensions at entry to restroom are to be reversed - 18" pull;12" push

Page A-5

51. Dimension all staircases from railing to railing - min. 44" clear required- railings required on both sides of staircase

52. Exterior area for assisted rescue required at exterior stair landing at top of exterior staircase.

To makes things easier for everybody and for me I will post a few comments I got from the local building inspector on my plans, please if anyone can help out with solutions or showing that he is not right with the code I will appreciate.

see below

Thanks

Page A-3

13. Provide accessible means of egress in accordance with Sec. 1009 of the IBC- where more than one means of egress are required by sec. 1006.2 or 1006.3 of the IBC from any accessible space,each accessible portion of the space shall be served by not less than two accessible means of egress- 44" min. width between handrails required.

17. Three story interior stairway is to be constructed as a fire barrier in accordance with Sec.707- sta irway is to be fully enclosed on all sides and provided with 1hr rated self closing doors at each floor level (Sec. 1019.3 &1023.2 IBC) - provide UL design number and detail- add to wall type legend

23. Provide exterior area for assisted rescue at bottom landing of both exterior exit stairs (1009.7 IBC)

Page A-4

30. Elevator is to be relocated to area near main entry- HC accessible route is to be located in the same area as the general circulation path (1104.5 IBC)

33. Main entrance and service entrance/exit- provide exterior area for assisted rescue at top landing of exterior stairs

34. Restroom near office #1- must be HC accessible- 1fixture of each type is to be HC accessible- show and note on plans (Sec. 1109.2 IBC)

a. Entry door cannot swing into HC clear floor area or turning radius (603.2.2 A117.1-2009)

b. HC toilet door requires 12" push side clearance upon exiting- door cannot swing into HC turning radius or clear floor space

35. Restroom next to prep room - must be HC accessible- 1fixture of each type is to be HC accessible- show and note on plans (Sec. 1109.2 IBC)

a. HC Toilet- door swing must be reversed and cannot swing into clear floor space or turning radius (604.9.3 &603.2.2 ICC A117.12009}
b. Faucet spacing to be a min. of 30" center to center (405.3.11PC)
c. Push and pull side clearance dimensions at entry to restroom are to be reversed - 18" pull;12" push

Page A-5

51. Dimension all staircases from railing to railing - min. 44" clear required- railings required on both sides of staircase

52. Exterior area for assisted rescue required at exterior stair landing at top of exterior staircase.
Looks like the plans examiner gave you most of the references and the plans you posted are civil only.

Not real sure how to help you out...

Your asking a lot. Aren't you an architect? You get paid to design. Would you pay our website to design it for you? It's OK to ask an specific code question but to design the whole building is asking to much.

Your asking a lot. Aren't you an architect? You get paid to design. Would you pay our website to design it for you? It's OK to ask an specific code question but to design the whole building is asking to much.
I am not asking to design the whole building, I got 60 comments from the building inspector I put on here 11 of them what I need help,

images

I am not asking to design the whole building, I got 60 comments from the building inspector I put on here 11 of them what I need help,

Ok, 60 comments? That is in the realm of asking if you know what you are doing, isn't it?

Other aspect, are you dealing with a plans examiner/building official or building inspector? One may be less likely to help you if you continually refer to them by the wrong title.

virtually all of the reviewers comments were things that we identified immediately when you posted your plan as being non code compliant. We can assist with some interpretations and clarifications when there are gray areas. These are not gray areas. Good luck

virtually all of the reviewers comments were things that we identified immediately when you posted your plan as being non code compliant. We can assist with some interpretations and clarifications when there are gray areas. These are not gray areas. Good luck

so I will tell you why I think its a gray area (or even black & white in my opinion) and you tell me what you think, let's start with 2 of them

1)
17. Three story interior stairway is to be constructed as a fire barrier in accordance with Sec.707- stairway is to be fully enclosed on all sides and provided with 1hr rated self-closing doors at each floor level (Sec. 1019.3 &1023.2 IBC)
IBC Sec.1019.3 and 1023.2 says that "floor openings containing exit access stairways shall be enclosed, but in 1019.1 general, and same in 1023.1 general, it says "exit access stairways serving as an exit access component in a means of egress system shall comply with the requirements of this section" so since I'm not using these stairs as a component of the means of egress system we do not have to comply with Sec.1019 and 1023 so this stairway does not need to be enclosed.

2)
why can't I have 2 general circulation paths 1 on the left side of the building and 1 on the right side,??? - also, why is the left side entrance the general circulation path and not the right side entrance?

2. This is a subjective determination by the reviewer, it is subject to your justifying otherwise, to his satisfaction.
(do they have an appeals process?)

The last sentence in 1023.1 says "An interior exit stairway or ramp shall not be used for any purpose other than as a means of egress and circulation route"
So if you build a interior exit stairway it must be a means of egress.This is like if you build a extra stairway that is not required you still need to comply with riser heights in the code.

The last sentence in 1023.1 says "An interior exit stairway or ramp shall not be used for any purpose other than as a means of egress and circulation route"
So if you build a interior exit stairway it must be a means of egress.This is like if you build a extra stairway that is not required you still need to comply with riser heights in the code.
so if I'm closing the exit to the street I can have it not enclosed?