• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Change of occupancy R-2 to R-3/B

hofey

We have an existing 3 story building that is currently classified as an R-2. We will be converting it into an R-3/B with the B separated by a 2-hr rated assembly, right now we are only dealing with the R-3 portion. There will be 2 dwellings in the R-3, one on the 1st and 2nd floor, and one on the 3rd floor. There is an exit access stairway that provides egress for the 3rd floor tenant as well as the 2nd and 1st floors. There are two means of egress for both dwellings, the 3rd floor also has a fire escape.

The exit access stairway walls and also 2nd floor ceiling have been gutted. We have new ductwork installed on the 2nd floor and supplies that penetrate the ceiling assembly and a return that goes through the exit access stairway. We are trying to avoid having to rework the ductwork if possible. Adding smoke dampers to the supplies penetrating the 2nd floor ceiling to achieve the 1-hr horizontal separation between dwellings doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. Getting the exit access stairway up to 1-hr rating based on the IBC seems to be a lot harder. We don't mind installing a sprinkler system and would actually prefer that over adding a manual fire alarm, rated assemblies, etc since a sprinkler we think would be safer. We would like to use either the work area compliance method or performance compliance method to satisfy the required code.

Work Area Compliance Method
If we go this route we would need to install a 13-D sprinkler, provide egress lighting / exit signs, follow everything in Chapters 10, 9, 8, 7. Since the R-3 is a lower hazard category than the R-2 it doesn't appear there needs to be any changes done to the egress (rated walls, etc) other than make the exit access stairway smoke tight.

The issue I see us running into is this part of the code

801.3 Compliance

All new construction elements, components, systems, and spaces shall comply with the requirements of the International Building Code.​

Would we have to meet the IBC requirements and provide a rated assembly on the 2nd floor ceiling to separate the dwelling units and a rated enclosure to the exit stairway since the walls / ceiling were removed?

Performance Compliance Method
If we went this route with a 13-D sprinkler I believe we could get by without having to do the rated separations between the dwellings, but would definitely have to have 1-hr rated vertical openings to get the points needed. Would the exit access stairway have to satisfy all the requirements of a 1-hr rating exit access stairway in the IBC?

Unless there is an exception in the ahj

Sprinklers required in entire building

And has to be NFPA 13

You will need som resemblance of a fire alarm system, because of the fire sprinkler system

Unless there is an exception in the ahj

Sprinklers required in entire building

And has to be NFPA 13

There will be a 2-hr fire separation between the R-3 use and B use. It is my understanding from the IBC that a 13-D satisfies the sprinkler requirement for the R-3.

There will be a 2-hr fire separation between the R-3 use and B use. It is my understanding from the IBC that a 13-D satisfies the sprinkler requirement for the R-3.

I may be wrong but::

903.2.8 Group R.
An automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3 shall be provided “””throughout”””. all buildings with a Group R fire area.

I may be wrong but::

903.2.8 Group R.
An automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3 shall be provided “””throughout”””. all buildings with a Group R fire area.

Right below that is:
903.2.8.1 Group R-3

An automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.3 shall be permitted in Group R-3 occupancies.

903.3.1.3 NFPA 13D Sprinkler Systems

Automatic sprinkler systems installed in one- and two-family dwellings; Group R-3, Group R-4 Condition 1 and townhouses shall be permitted to be installed throughout in accordance with NFPA 13D.

My main concern is would this come in to play with the 2nd floor ceiling (separation between the two dwellings) and the exit access stairway since we gutted the walls and ceiling and force us to adhere to the IBC instead of the IEBC

801.3 Compliance

All new construction elements, components, systems, and spaces shall comply with the requirements of the International Building Code.

If your ahj will approve it great,,,,,

https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-stan...s/list-of-codes-and-standards/detail?code=13D

1.1* Scope. A.1.1 NFPA13D is appropriate for protection against fire hazards only in one- and two-family dwellings and manufactured homes. Residential portions of any other type of building or occupancy should be protected with residential sprinklers in accordance with NFPA 13 or in accordance with NFPA 13R. Other portions of such buildings should be protected in accordance with NFPA 13 or NFPA 13R as appropriate for areas outside the dwelling unit. The criteria in this standard are based on full-scale fire tests of rooms containing typical furnishings found in residential living rooms, kitchens, and bedrooms. The furnishings were arranged as typically found in dwelling units in a manner similar to that shown in Figure A.1.1(a), Figure A.1.1(b), and Figure A.1.1(c). Sixty full-scale fire tests were conducted in a two-story dwelling in Los Angeles, California, and 16 tests were conducted in a 14 ft (4.3 m) wide mobile home in Charlotte, North Carolina. Sprinkler systems designed and installed according to this standard are expected to prevent flashover within the compartment of origin where sprinklers are installed in the compartment. A sprinkler system designed and installed according to this standard cannot, however, be expected to completely control a fire involving fuel loads that are significantly higher than average for dwelling units [10 lb/ft2 (49 kg/m2)] and where the interior finish has an unusually high flame spread index (greater than 225) when tested in accordance with ASTM E 84, Standard Test Method for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials, or ANSI/UL 723, Standard for Test for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials. (For protection of multifamily dwellings, see NFPA 13 or NFPA 13R.) ****INSERT FIGURE HERE**** FIGURE A.1.1(a) Bedroom. ****INSERT FIGURE HERE**** FIGURE A.1.1(b) Manufactured Home Bedroom. ****INSERT FIGURE HERE**** FIGURE A.1.1(c) Living Room. 1.1.1 This standard shall cover the design, installation, and maintenance of automatic sprinkler systems for protection against the fire hazards in one- and two-family dwellings and manufactured homes. 1.1.2 This standard shall not provide requirements for the design or installation of water mist fire protection systems, which are not considered fire sprinkler systems and are addressed by NFPA 750. 1.1.3 This standard shall be based on the concept that the sprinkler system is designed to protect against a fire originating from a single ignition location.

Per our conversation with the building official we are okay with installing a 13D because of the 2-hr fire separation between the R-3 and B. However we are not adding the B until a later date. So if we go full R-3 now, 13D should be up to code right? Then we can do a partial change of occupation to an R-3/B, put the 2-hr separation and deal with the B on its own right?

If we install a sprinkler system to code either with a NFPA 13 or 13D. Would the IBC kick in with regards to the gutted ceilings on the 2nd floor separating the 2 dwellings and gutted walls in the existing exit access stairway per this section in the IEBC?

801.3 Compliance

All new construction elements, components, systems, and spaces shall comply with the requirements of the International Building Code.

Y'all forget to read the very first section of 903.2 when trying to apply sprinkler requirements to existing structures. It only applies to new buildings being constructed it does not apply to existing buildings
You need to be using the IEBC to get you to the IBC in order to require automatic sprinklers in existing building projects.

2012 IBC
[F] 903.2 Where required.
Approved automatic sprinkler systems in new buildings and structures shall be provided in the locations described in Sections 903.2.1 through 903.2.12.

Sprinklers are not required under the IEBC for this project

804.2.2 Groups A, B, E, F-1, H, I, M, R-1, R-2, R-4, S-1 and S-2.
In buildings with occupancies in Groups A, B, E, F-1, H, I, M, R-1, R-2, R-4, S-1 and S-2, work areas that have exits or corridors shared by more than one tenant or that have exits or corridors serving an occupant load greater than 30 shall be provided with automatic sprinkler protection where all of the following conditions occur:
1. The work area is required to be provided with automatic sprinkler protection in accordance with the International Building Code as applicable to new construction; and
2. The work area exceeds 50 percent of the floor area.
Exceptions:
1. Work areas in Group R occupancies three stories or less in height.

2. If the building does not have sufficient municipal water supply for design of a fire sprinkler system available to the floor without installation of a new fire pump, work areas shall be protected by an automatic smoke detection system throughout all occupiable spaces other than sleeping units or individual dwelling units that activates the occupant notification system in accordance with Sections 907.4, 907.5 and 907.6 of the International Building Code.

Since we are doing a change of occupancy from R-2 to R-3 or R-3/B I believe the sprinkler requirement kicks in from the IEBC

1012.2.1 Fire Sprinkler System

Where a change in occupancy classification occurs or where there is a change of occupancy within a space where there is a different fire protection system threshold requirement in Chapter 9 of the International Building Code that requires an automatic fire sprinkler system to be provided based on the new occupancy in accordance with Chapter 9 of the International Building Code, such system shall be provided throughout the area where the change of occupancy occurs.

Well

If you can get it to fly in the ahj,,,

That is some of what matters

Plus the safety of people

And last property

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses I really do appreciate it.

Outside the scope of needing a sprinkler system or what kind of sprinkler system would be required does anyone have any insight whether or not the horizontal separation between dwellings or the existing exit access stairway would need to come up to IBC requirements per IEBC 801.3 if they have had their walls / ceilings gutted and will be replaced with drywall?

If we went the work area compliance route, this appears to be the only section that i'm not sure if it will require us to provide the separations based off requirements from the IBC or would we be able to stay in the IEBC and only have to provide a smoke tight enclosure.

801.3 Compliance

Thanks for the responses I really do appreciate it.

Outside the scope of needing a sprinkler system or what kind of sprinkler system would be required does anyone have any insight whether or not the horizontal separation between dwellings or the existing exit access stairway would need to come up to IBC requirements per IEBC 801.3 if they have had their walls / ceilings gutted and will be replaced with drywall?

If we went the work area compliance route, this appears to be the only section that i'm not sure if it will require us to provide the separations based off requirements from the IBC or would we be able to stay in the IEBC and only have to provide a smoke tight enclosure.

801.3 Compliance

Any way to do a simple floor plan/s and post them as a link

Start here notice 1012.2.1 that you quoted is not included
2012 IEBC
1012.1 General.
The provisions of this section shall apply to buildings or portions thereof undergoing a change of occupancy classification. This includes a change of occupancy classification within a group as well as a change of occupancy classification from one group to a different group. Such buildings shall also comply with Sections 1002 through 1011. The application of requirements for the change of occupancy shall be as set forth in Sections 1012.1.1 through 1012.1.4. A change of occupancy, as defined in Section 202, without a corresponding change of occupancy classification shall comply with Section 1001.2.

Here is where you go next since you are providing separation.

1012.1.1.2 Change of occupancy classification with separation.
Where a portion of an existing building that is changed to a new occupancy classification and that portion is separated from the remainder of the building with fire barriers having a fire-resistance rating as required in the International Building Code for the separate occupancy, that portion shall comply with all of the requirements of Chapter 9 for the new occupancy classification and with the requirements of this chapter.

That is Chapter 9 of the IEBC
904.1 Automatic sprinkler systems.
Automatic sprinkler systems shall be provided in all work areas when required by Section 804.2 or this section.

804.2 Automatic sprinkler systems.
Automatic sprinkler systems shall be provided in accordance with the requirements of Sections 804.2.1 through 804.2.5. Installation requirements shall be in accordance with the International Building Code.
See my post above for the exception for all Group R occupancyies 3 stories or less

Start here notice 1012.2.1 that you quoted is not included
2012 IEBC
1012.1 General.
The provisions of this section shall apply to buildings or portions thereof undergoing a change of occupancy classification. This includes a change of occupancy classification within a group as well as a change of occupancy classification from one group to a different group. Such buildings shall also comply with Sections 1002 through 1011. The application of requirements for the change of occupancy shall be as set forth in Sections 1012.1.1 through 1012.1.4. A change of occupancy, as defined in Section 202, without a corresponding change of occupancy classification shall comply with Section 1001.2.

Here is where you go next since you are providing separation.

1012.1.1.2 Change of occupancy classification with separation.
Where a portion of an existing building that is changed to a new occupancy classification and that portion is separated from the remainder of the building with fire barriers having a fire-resistance rating as required in the International Building Code for the separate occupancy, that portion shall comply with all of the requirements of Chapter 9 for the new occupancy classification and with the requirements of this chapter.

That is Chapter 9 of the IEBC
904.1 Automatic sprinkler systems.
Automatic sprinkler systems shall be provided in all work areas when required by Section 804.2 or this section.

804.2 Automatic sprinkler systems.
Automatic sprinkler systems shall be provided in accordance with the requirements of Sections 804.2.1 through 804.2.5. Installation requirements shall be in accordance with the International Building Code.
See my post above for the exception for all Group R occupancyies 3 stories or less

The problem is that chapter 10 requires the sprinkler. The local build official is saying we need a sprinkler system, or go the performance compliance route to design it out if possible.

1012.1.1.2 ... that portion shall comply with all of the requirements of Chapter 9 for the new occupancy classification and with the requirements of this chapter.

And then down in

1012.2.1 Fire Sprinkler System

Where a change in occupancy classification occurs or where there is a change of occupancy within a space where there is a different fire protection system threshold requirement in Chapter 9 of the International Building Code that requires an automatic fire sprinkler system to be provided based on the new occupancy in accordance with Chapter 9 of the International Building Code, such system shall be provided throughout the area where the change of occupancy occurs.

Any way to do a simple floor plan/s and post them as a link

I don't have a good way of providing a link to floor plans. At this point I'm trying to figure out if removing the plaster walls in the existing stairway and removing ceilings and then replacing them with new dry wall would classify under this part of section 9 and make the IBC kick in for rated separations / enclosed exit access stairway

801.3 Compliance

Without seeing a floor plan

I think you do need a rating

So do you know if existing has any rating ?

Without seeing a floor plan

I think you do need a rating

So do you know if existing has any rating ?

The existing stairwell and 2nd floor ceiling plaster were gutted and gone now. I do not believe they were ever required to be rated, the building is from 1900.

Does replacing the plaster walls / ceiling with drywall fall under 801.3? If not i do not see anywhere else in the IEBC chapters 7,8,9 that would required the rated walls / ceilings for a one to two family dwellings. The only other issue is new ductwork supplies were installed in the 2nd floor ceiling a return in the existing exit access stairway. The return should be able to be boxed in so it would be considered part of the dwelling and not the stairway. Would any of this make 801.3 kick in?

801.3 Compliance

The problem is that chapter 10 requires the sprinkler. The local build official is saying we need a sprinkler system, or go the performance compliance route to design it out if possible.
I believe 1012.1.1, 1012.1.1.1 and 1012.1.1.2 area specific requirements for a change of occupancy throughout the entire building if only a portion of the building is undergoing a change of occupancy and that is why there are limited exceptions to the fire suppression system requirements

1012.2 is what you use if the entire building is undergoing a change of occupancy. I re-read you OP and if I understand it correctly you are currently an R-2 throughout the entire building and it will be an R-3 and a B when completed. If this is the case then yes the sprinklers will be required unless the performance method will give you an out and I think it might