• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

I saw this and called the office to find out if there is a permit for solar. There is and I haven't inspected it yet. Shirley somebody's gonna tell me that this is alright.

33974775498_5bdeee8565_b.jpg

It's hard to tell from the street but that looks like felt and not that old. I can see a shadow of another line that seems to be another layer. It might be an asphalt roof covering under the tile. I can't get any closer than this. I need a drone.

47062669344_a5162c2333_b.jpg

Update: There is a permit to remove the tile from the footprint of the array and install asphalt shingles. Actually there are two permits for that work by different contractors. After the solar is installed someone infills the tiles around the array.

Last edited:
I like that they took the time to paint the conduit. There is different colored conduit on the market, but probably not that color?

Is there anybody else out there that would vote c-taps off the island.

View attachment 4368

Question ... is the problem that they are using the wrong size? Doesnt look like it wraps far enough around the smaller wire. And i assume they are allowed by code, otherwise you would have (reluctantly) issued a citation.

Not sure i agree. Look at the raised panels in the top row ... the one on the left touches the header, the one on the right has a gap at the top.

That picture is just funny as hell I almost get dizzy just looking at it. Up here I have seen many of these issues due to frost heave. When I was a young guy I saw structural damage due to bentonite clay. Many of the builder's in my area used to bury trees and stumps on the lots which forever settle - so I have responded to lots of structural damage because of these bury pits.

Question ... is the problem that they are using the wrong size? Doesnt look like it wraps far enough around the smaller wire. And i assume they are allowed by code, otherwise you would have (reluctantly) issued a citation.
The c-tap is too small. There is a specific tool that’s required for the crimping of the c-tap. That tool will emboss a number where it engages the copper. The number corresponds to a particular die for the specific c-tap. That didn’t happen and almost never does. Beyond all of that, this is a bare copper grounding electrode conductor to ground rods.....in a planter .....that requires protection from physical damage.

46951889275_4923412514_b.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure i agree. Look at the raised panels in the top row ... the one on the left touches the header, the one on the right has a gap at the top.
I put a ruler on the picture and they are too close to say otherwise. I saw the different reveal and wondered if it’s just the door.....everything looks like the day it was built but something is way off.

If it's a #6 AWG GEC and free from physical damage the GEC can be run along the building surface without protection if secured. If not it would need protection, preferably in conduit.

I don't know the GEC size but assume that the GEC is a #6 AWG:

Question: Would you classify this install free from physical damage?

Beyond all of that, this is a bare copper grounding electrode conductor to ground rods.....in a planter .....that requires protection from physical damage.

Replacement furnace in a closet. It goes with the condenser above.

47876246941_d99e53627f_b.jpg

The previous vent has been cut with tin snips. A section of single wall has been pushed inside and a flexible B-Vent is in the single wall.

\40909825633_3dc11ea218_b.jpg

Attachments

• 47930080738_8158ab8ef7_b.jpg
    47930080738_8158ab8ef7_b.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A California contractors license is no indication of competence. There are businesses that prepare people to take the test for a license. It’s the same for inspector certifications.

Last edited:
I hear inspectors saying that they do not go on roofs for inspections. The contractor for this job must have figured I was one of them as I had to ask for a ladder.

47923412653_648d76b7a5_b.jpg

47923414642_1acf46e1cb_b.jpg

I'm no legal scholar but it seems to me that if a licensed contractor walked away from this he would bear a legal responsibility if it fell into the back yard. What the Hell, it's not attached at all.

Attachments

• 47923414716_6ed6df9c09_b.jpg
    47923414716_6ed6df9c09_b.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 47923417491_46075d5e7e_b.jpg
    47923417491_46075d5e7e_b.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: