• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Maximum Size Penetration in Rated Concrete Floor

fj80

Sawhorse
2015 IBC
Renovation to an existing condo in a high-rise tower. Original construction is Type II-A and use is R-2.

An existing bathtub was removed and a new tile shower is to be installed in same place. When tub was removed it revealed a 6"x12" opening in the concrete slab for the waste line. Slab is 8-1/2" thick. There is another condo unit below and the slab opening is open to the ceiling plenum of the unit below.

We need to infill the opening with something to provide a solid substrate for the new tile floor of the shower.

First idea was to fill the opening with dry-pack mortar and a pipe sleeve for the waste line (and support the bottom of the mortar with a steel plate with L-brackets drilled into the edges of the slab opening). The problem with this is that it would leave no ability to get access to the pipe, from above inside the unit, in the future if something went wrong or someone wanted to remodel in the future.

So second idea is to fill the opening with a high density foam block that would be firm enough to support the new shower tile floor but still be removable if needed in the future. But this would not be a fire-rated material. So my question is- is a penetration of this size allowed in a 1-hour rated floor without filling it solid with a fire-rated material?

I'm reading IBC 714.4 but it's pretty confusing.

It would be a through-penetration and the assembly used would need to be tested achieving a minimum 1-hour F- and T-ratings.

You will have the rating of the floor system and the rating of the tenant separation.....The latter is what you need to protect to....it would be 30 min in a IIB building, but for IIA, I agree with Ron, 1 hour opening protective...