• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Millwork room ratings

Hyrax4978

I have a client who is putting a new millwork room within an existing F-1 fire area. The fire area is only 9,000 SF, and its already an existing F-1 use. The client talked with the B.O. and he mentioned they need to rate their new millwork room. It will only be about 600 SF for the millwork room.

I took a look and in chapter 9 wood working operations don't need sprinklers if the area of wood working is less than 2,500 sf.

Commentary states "the extent of sprinkler coverage is only intended to be for the group F-1 occupancy involved in the wood working activity. if the fire area is larger than 2,500 SF but the woodworking area is 2,500 SF or less, sprinklers are not required.

So if it doesn't need sprinklers, and is less than the 2,500 SF, the fire area is already classified as F-1, what am i missing. Maybe this was a B.O. shooting from the hip, or maybe im missing something. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Not seeing the issue

Would ask bo

What occupancy classification he is putting it in

And code section for the requirement

If the woodworking operation is new, I could see the BO getting there...Kind of like adding a mattress store to a non-sprinklered strip mall....

The fire area is the key, the woodworking area may be less than 2500 SF but if it is not in a separate fire area, it may create additional problems (Dust Explosions).

Read definition of Fire Area......

Now that is an interesting idea.

But even if it was in say a 10000 sq ft open/ unseperated area,
The woodwork is still less than 2500 sq ft

Same concept used in high piled stock areas

This may be true, however high piled storage has special provisions for distance or physical separation and/or possible enhanced fire sprinkler coverage for 15 feet beyond designated high pile storage.

This provision of the fire code does not provide any guidance for requirements or separations..... does this mean my woodshop can be placed directly adjacent to wood storage shelving/rack systems?