• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Multiple levels of alteration

Sifu

SAWHORSE
I just got a submittal for a building where the DP is claiming that parts of the same suite are different levels of alteration. For example, they claim 251s.f. of level 2, 1521s.f. level 1 and 2,474s.f. of repair. For starters, I am not sure how this would help, but I also don't think it is a correct application of the code. To me, if a space is reconfigured to any extent, level 1 is not a viable option. I have little experience with this code and haven't encopuntered this before. Any opinions as to why it would be submitted this way and if it is in line with the IEBC?

Attachments

• levels.pdf
    39.3 KB · Views: 11
As you mentioned, a Level 2 alteration applies to reconfigured space. For example, if several adjacent rooms have the dividing walls removed to create one large room, then the aggregate area of those rooms is the Level 2 “work area.” If a large room has walls added to create smaller rooms, then the area of the large room is the Level 2 “work area.” Areas of the building outside of those reconfigured spaces are not included in the Level 2 “work area.”

In this case I am not sure it matters too much. I have a hard time with the "work area" designated as level 1 and 2 in the same "space", because I don't think those terms are well defined. I guess I have always assumed space meant the entire contiguous area, not room by room. I will ponder this a little more. The designation of the area as repairs also doesn't fit. Per the definitions a "repair" is for correction of damage or building maintenance, which this is not. I think the repairs would need to be designated as level 1 alterations. However, the combination of all of the areas still doesn't get us to 50%, so no level 3 alterations. In the end there doesn't appear to be any significant difference for this job between the level 2 and level 1 alterations.