• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Server Room Occupancy Classification

Jessica Kramer

I have a server farm - 8,675 GSF, slab on grade, 2-story building, type II-B, sprinkled. (servers sprinkled by a pre-action system)

I am doing a remodel outside of the server farm area on 1st and 2nd floor. Trying to determine how to classify the space to determine separation from Occ. Class. B - office

IBC 2015.

Thanks!

I don't know about others, but I would classify it as a Group B or, at worse, a Group S-2.

Either way, you don't need separation, because even classified as a Group S-2, the most restrictive would be Group B at 69,000 sq. ft., which is much greater than the 8,675 sq. ft. for your building; thus, you can use the nonseparated occupancies method per Section 508.3.

I'd agree with Ron. Either B to B or possibly B to S-2, but either way the B is the limiting factor, therefore most conservative approach is to call the whole thing a B.

If servers submerged in tanks of mineral oil for B Occupancy expect reviewer concerns requiring structural and material documentation.

% ~ % ~ %
" Really ? Do they do that " Heat dissipation ? "
Yes, they really do that !......It helps to minimize
cooling a "heated" space, and by capturing the heat off of the Servers,
they can redistribute that heat to a nearby climate controlled building.

% ~ % ~ %

Reactions: JBI