• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

HB 493 in Georgia

CBOGUY

How do you feel about this bill HB 493. that will take effect in July 2019?

How has your state handled the private industry taking over?

We do plan reviews now as private 3rd party inspection companies in PA. But why would they want an architect or engineer do it? They would charge a lot more money (they make a lot more) than an inspector. Do architects and engineers need work?

I would assume this is directed at a problem(s) in the bigger city departments, but I didn't see any exemptions for smaller towns/counties. They just lumped the whole State together and said, "You building department guys stink at this, we're going to give folks a way to do it without you".

Sheesh......

The number 1 thing here for failing a plan review is the architects and engineers forget to stamp the plans. The number 2 thing is the wrong codes on the plans. It will be interesting to see what the inspector will do after an architect or an engineer passes a plan review that is not stamped or is designed to the wrong code.

Codes and Code Officials exist BECAUSE the private sector proved time and again that they were NOT capable of self regulating.

The number 1 thing here for failing a plan review is the architects and engineers forget to stamp the plans. The number 2 thing is the wrong codes on the plans. It will be interesting to see what the inspector will do after an architect or an engineer passes a plan review that is not stamped or is designed to the wrong code.

You inspect to the code, even if the plans are wrong. We do it every day. RDPs cannot circumvent the code and it is your job to inspect to the codes.

The majority of the time it is not the building department that is behind in the review process it is other departments.
I remember Fl we had 30 days to issue a SFR permit. I believe it was state law.

Reactions: JBI
Codes and Code Officials exist BECAUSE the private sector proved time and again that they were NOT capable of self regulating.

Actually, i would bet thst almost all architects and enginerrs try to do it right, the problem comes with contrsctors and owners who try to do it the cheapest easiest way.