• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What consitutes a 'reconfigured space'?

VLADIMIR LEVIN

IEBC defines Work Area as "...portions of a building consisting of all reconfigured spaces..."
I have an A-2 occupancy where I'm moving the bar from on location in the dining room to another location in the same dining room. Is that considered a reconfiguration of space? I say no.

By doing so do you:
1. Alter the circulation path
2. Change the dimensions of the bar
3. Does the bar have an accessible counter portion (smiling)
4. Require relocating/revising plumbing, elec.
5. Is it on wheels

By doing so do you:
1. Alter the circulation path
2. Change the dimensions of the bar
3. Does the bar have an accessible counter portion (smiling)
4. Require relocating/revising plumbing, elec.
5. Is it on wheels
Are you saying that if the bar is a permanent fixture, with new plumbing , bigger in size, and alters circulation path then the space is reconfigured?
Yes to all of those things, but I think the relevant thing is it doesn't alter any part of the means of egress (specifically the egress path).
No walls have been removed or added, so the sq.ft. and footprint of the room remain the same.

IEBC defines Work Area as "...portions of a building consisting of all reconfigured spaces..."
I have an A-2 occupancy where I'm moving the bar from on location in the dining room to another location in the same dining room. Is that considered a reconfiguration of space? I say no.
I would say yes. If you permanently rearrange the space, then it is "reconfigured space." Even just adding a door is considered reconfigured space.

I would say yes. If you permanently rearrange the space, then it is "reconfigured space." Even just adding a door is considered reconfigured space.
Seams like there should be a clear definition in the code for reconfigured space', or at least an official interpretation.

Seams like there should be a clear definition in the code for reconfigured space', or at least an official interpretation.
Section 201.4 (of any I-code): "Where terms are not defined through the methods authorized by this chapter, such terms shall have ordinarily accepted meanings such as the context applies."

Definition of "reconfigure" (courtesy of thefreedictionary.com): "To rearrange the elements or settings of:" That would probably be considered the "ordinarily accepted meaning" of "reconfigure," and since the room includes rearranging of elements, then it is "reconfigured space."

If you are an ICC member, you can request a staff interpretation, which would be much quicker than a formal committee interpretation.

Yes, except that definition should be within the context of the intention of the code, which is safety. Moving a table in a space would be to rearrange an element but would hardly have an effect on safety (unless it was put in front of exit door).

Then argue your case with the inspector and not here--we have next to zero influence over the local building official.

I understand you were trying to validate your position. At least from me, you didn't get it. Others on this forum have opinions that are contrary to mine (the code is not as black and white as some people may think), but the lack of other responses so far may be an indication that your position does not have the support you would like to have.

I'd look at the prescriptive compliance method in lieu of the work area compliance method (that is your option and not the building department's). For an alteration, you cannot make the building any less complying than it was prior to the alteration. Per IFC Section 1103.5 (2015 edition), sprinklers are not required in a Group A-2 for an existing building. If the 2018 IFC is applicable, then a sprinkler system would be required in a Group A-2 but only if the occupant load is 300 or more.

I agree with Ron... the space is reconfigured. Changing the location of any permanently installed fixture (sink, etc.) or facility (bar, etc.) would be considered a reconfiguration.

I understand, as I'm sure we all do, where the original poster is trying to go but I agree that while the code is typically generically vague it has to in instances such as this since you can't possibly right a provision of the code to fit each scenario. Good Lord the codes are large enough as it is. That being said Vladimer has to realize his best and probably only recourse is to speak directly with the AHJ. It would be his/her determination after all whether we all agree or not.

Reactions: cda
Virginia redefined Work Area as :"That intended room, space, or portion of a building or structure where a wall or walls are added, relocated, or removed."

Not knowing the history of this establishment may be another reason the AHJ is standing firm?

UPDATE.
I spoke with 2 people with NYS Code Division, and neither one could clearly define what constitutes "reconfigured space".
What they both did say was that any work classified as Level 2 Alt should be included as part of "work area".

Definition for work area should be changed to exclude "reconfiguration of space" (that's my opinion)

I think you are using the same terminology, reconfigured space and work area is arguably one and the same. Maybe if you explained what answer you are looking for we might either agree or explain why you can't get there from here.

Work area is defined as "....portions of a building consisting of all reconfigured spaces"
I was trying to determine what part of my work was considered a reconfigured space and thus included in the work area.
Important here because if my work area was more than 50% of floor area I need sprinklers.

So, I accept the "if its a level 2 alt then its part of work area"

But the inspector made me include areas where I am just replacing finishes (which is level 1 type work)