• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

"Floor Area, Gross" - Roof Overhang - Porch

In addition, I asked the building department if they would be satisfied if I cut the roof off with a 2' overhang... they said yes... so I asked what the difference is between a 2' and a 6' as far as floor area goes... and what the "code" is for maximum roof overhang... they said their isn't one :) Hahaaa...

Yes there is a code:

The Code of “Because I Said So”

"The shed itself, measured from the inside (per the definition of "floor area") is 199 sq/ft. Local building code specifically says"....

The square footage of a structure is measured on the outside of the structure. I know a few officials that would draw the line at exactly 200 square feet. I am not so inclined....well that is unless I've got a patio cover planted on the side of the shed....but then we go way over the 200 square feet so whats the big deal about a few extra shed square feet.

For obvious reasons there must be a limit on roof projections from storage sheds. My code limits overhangs to 24". Where you are the limit is achieved by including the porch in the square footage calculation of the structure. We would probably use the same approach in your case because a porch is not an overhang.

Don't pay attention to these guys that are commiserating with a lost cause. You'll get spanked in court.

Last edited:
Obvious solution

Run the worm saw down the length of it, about six inches from the edge of the exterior walls,,,

Install four or five hinges or pins and fold it up or remove it when the inspector comes by,,

And wells no overhang

Till the sun comes up, than fold it / pin it back in place.

The code is clear

The floor area of a building, or portion thereof, not provided with surrounding exterior walls shall be the usable area under the horizontal projection of the roof or floor above.

The space is usable. It does not matter when it was built, or by whom.