• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Nobody has any questions about Fire Alarm Cable or IT cable requirements? I sure do

Builder Bob

Sawhorse
Sunny SC - Coastal (not Charleston or Myrtle Beach
Surprise that several links or articles aren't listed in here concerning the requirements for low voltage cable which is predominate in all buildings. The Fire Alarm, IT lines, Thermostat wiring, Energy Management/ Controls, etc. all have requirements that the general building official or building department don't look at or care about since the majority of this type of work doesn't require permitting.

Securing of IT cables is my big problem - they lay in on the ceiling grid and when the grid gives way in a fire, the cable drops and entangles firefighters - several document cases of fire fatalities have been associated with entanglement of low voltage wiring.

If somebody or someone has a few links/ articles, or comments they would like to share _ I am sure that everybody can learn something.

Thanks !

Builder Bob steeping off soap box and returning to my corner.

LV cable for any use is regulated under the NEC and we inspect if regularly. J-hooks and straps are used frequently. Nothing is allowed to lay on a drop ceiling grid or be attached to conduit.

% = % = %

Builder Bob, ...I feel your pain !........Around here, whenever it
is mentioned about not laying the cables & other types of wiring
assemblies on to the ceiling tiles, ...I get ignored and "what the
heck are you quoting Elec. Code to us for" look..........Little to
no enforcement of the NEC regarding this requirement.

See Article(s) 770.110, ...770.133, ...800.133, ...820.110 and
others, in the `17 NEC.

% = % = %