• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Thumb latch debate

I guess their theory is that during the development of their brains something happened, disabling them, so the rest of us have to pay for them.

I hope ... i know ... that you are being sarcastic. If you are talking about darwin czndidates, like we see so often on youtube, then i probably agree. Unfortunately there are large numbers of people who are truly cognitively impaired and they deserve a helping hand. Im going to give you the benefit of doubt that you are not throwing away people with Downs, or once brilliant elders who now have dementia ... right?

I hope ... i know ... that you are being sarcastic. If you are talking about darwin czndidates, like we see so often on youtube, then i probably agree. Unfortunately there are large numbers of people who are truly cognitively impaired and they deserve a helping hand. Im going to give you the benefit of doubt that you are not throwing away people with Downs, or once brilliant elders who now have dementia ... right?
Thanks e hilton.
Back to the topic, the ADA Standards address the physical environment for persons with mobility issues and communication issues. The issue of limited cognition is not addressed in the ADA standards.

Concern about cognitive impairment does form part of the underlying rationale behind some of the requirements of the building code, especially as it relates to sleeping environments in "R" occupanices, some "I" occupancies, panic exiting in emergencies, etc. But, as I understand it, it is not related to the requirements of ADAS.

You are probably correct about the application, but consider this ... a person with mental issues who is trying to exit a building in a hurry ... they are probably going to have a more difficult time with a thumb turn than with a panic bar.

"Wow", talk about insensitive; how many vets came back with cognitive limitations and motorcycle riders without helmets?

You are probably correct about the application, but consider this ... a person with mental issues who is trying to exit a building in a hurry ... they are probably going to have a more difficult time with a thumb turn than with a panic bar.
Or one of your children............

I am speachless, embarrassed for you both and disgusted

Discussing the stupid, as said: ~idiots, morons, imbeciles, etc. Nobody is referring to the to the disabled here, no one in their right mind would. Don’t be that snowflake.

Yes, and that is why Chapter 10 "Means of Egress" takes this issue into account... but not ADA or other accessibility codes/regulations. This is a very important code distinction for everything from assignment of risk to basic functioning of society.

If you have someone incapable of self-preservation in an emergency exit situation, you don't utilize ADA to tackle the problem; you utilize Chapter 10 "Means of Egress", which includes everything from door hardware operation to Areas of Refuge; and if an occupant is physically or mentally incapable of/restrained from operating the basic components of an exit system per Chapter 10, then chapter 3 will have already classified that use as an "I" occupancy.

Use the proper tool for the job at hand.