• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

The job is a PEX re-pipe. This is located in a closet that is under the stairs to the second floor. The plumber exposed it so he gets to fix it.

48024379926_57bdddc04d_b.jpg

Last edited:
If that is gas piping where is the sediment trap?
I guess I'm not that vigilant when it comes to sediment traps. For one, they are never and I mean never installed correctly and the Gas Company says that the gas is clean enough to not need them. The problem with this gas pipe is the three vertical feet that is not secured to anything.

48064066817_85d47d8468_b.jpg

Last edited:
Would you ask them to remove the pieces that are separated by cracks? I encounter this often enough that I wonder if it's just me. Perhaps it covers up well and stays put for a long time.

48067203328_260a9e1e46_b.jpg

Last edited:
A solar contractor took the responsibility of getting a permit for a bootlegged panel. They figured it was going to be a walk in the park. There's 32" clearance from the wall to the panel.

48085539352_c86ba75426_b.jpg

When I asked about the grounding electrode system I was shown this pipe at the water heater.

48085446046_758f79be90_b.jpg

The stroll in the park turned into a mugging. The first correction was to relocate the panel .....the next seven were really just a learning opportunity.

Last edited:
I guess I'm not that vigilant when it comes to sediment traps. For one, they are never and I mean never installed correctly and the Gas Company says that the gas is clean enough to not need them. The problem with this gas pipe is the three vertical feet that is not secured to anything.

View attachment 5496

On an attic furnace install, where do they (the installer) typically leave the install instructions? In the attic?

"On an attic furnace install, where do they (the installer) typically leave the install instructions? In the attic?"

More likely in the trash or the back of the truck.

On an attic furnace install, where do they (the installer) typically leave the install instructions? In the attic?
It varies. Sometimes the owner has a copy. Sometimes that copy is for a different model furnace. That happens with contractors too....and not just a different model....different manufacturer.....I’ve heard, “They are all the same.”

The HDs and the all-thread are on the plans. A little different than this. The HD on the right is supposed to be mounted on the othe side of the wall that is set at a right angle to the all-thread. Inside the other room as it were. The reason that it didn't happen that way has to do with the post cap with a beam saddle that is in the way. They figured that it was too difficult to drill through the saddle...

Well this is not in my area and I was there helping out ....for roof sheathing only. I mentioned it to the responsible inspector.
48094854066_8f2a8d0030_b.jpg

48094889386_f383782aed_b.jpg

Last edited:
What ard the HD's supposed to be doing? Tieing together a couple of joists ... but in this example whats on the other side of the wall?
I can see that drilling through the saddle could be difficult, and might compromise the saddle. Is this going go pass?
On the fire ... what is your role? To determine if the building is safe? Interesting that the bedroom apparently did not have any smoke damage either.

Has been mentioned several times on this forum, and i have seen it personally many times, any door being closed will slow or stop the fire.

The blocking between the joists is doubled. There is a nail on strap on the floor above that spans the entire room. There is a similar arrangement on the other side of the beam. The HDs and all-thread are meant to drag one floor diaphragm to the other.

I am sent to buildings that have been damaged by whatever...fire, flood, earthquake, car crash. That’s if the Fire dept. calls it in.

Not long ago SWAT tore up a house because a man was shooting at the neighbors. Every last window was busted out and many of the window frames were ripped apart. There’s dents aplenty where tear gas rounds missed the hole.

The home owner insurance is paying to repair the house and part of the scope is replacing receptacles, switches and light fixtures because of the exposure to tear gas.

I wonder what the limits of the insurance company repairs are for something like this when self inflicted.
I could use an electrical upgrade!

The shooter was the owner’s son. Every electrical item from alarm clocks to the refrigerator is being replaced by the insurance company. Not the wiring or service panel which is on the outside.

48105452451_a8c26af754_b.jpg

None of the pipe in the first picture has been glued together.
The next picture is why the pipe in the first picture is not glued together.

48105471563_8035faf2f4_b.jpg

They have progressed beyond the under-slab plumbing and have attempted a pair of shower pans.

48105471918_133912c786_b.jpg

48105471768_d365c791f0_b.jpg

I used to be surprised at the balls to the wall inexperience......this is a good example of the "We are educators and are duty bound to explain the details of the defects and solutions." I went as far as to write "Hire a shower pan installer for a built-up pan." I did not tell them why.

Today I went on the third inspection for smoke and CO alarms on a re-roof job. They failed again....this is after two explanations with handouts. The only thing that I said today was, "Not yet." The owner says that he takes time off work to meet me. I wondered what his employer thinks about this.

Last edited:
None of the pipe in the first picture has been glued together.
The next picture is why the pipe in the first picture is not glued together.

Ok, just so im clear ... they glued the pipe together wrong the first time, so the second time its cut and installed but not glued ... just in case? What did you tell them?

What did you tell them?
“One more time should do it.”

The truth about plumbing is that .....well how to say this without offending plumbers.....you really have to work at screwing it up before it is a legitimate problem. The office I work in generally has the same inspectors for years at a time. There was an addition recently and this new inspector writes lots of plumbing corrections. He's a genuine plumbing code guru. A ninja with a faucet. He will be here for a while and when he's gone we will be back to, "Plumbing never killed anybody. If the water drains out; it's all good."

Last edited:
I inspected a carnival yesterday.

Can we go back to the carnival? How do you inspect a carnival? You can look for obvious things ... bad electrical connections, egress routes etc ... but do you inspect the rides for safety? Seems like that would be a real specialty. Unfortunately every time someone gets hurt on a ride at a shopping center carnival, the newpaper is certain to include the sentence "the rides were inspected last week and passed"

I can't say that I know how to inspect a carnival. I have done it about fifty times. I have not had any training for inspecting carnivals. The only information that has ever been provided is the address and a site plan.

I look for the obvious safety issues that you mentioned....and a whole lot more. Every restraint, braking mechanisms, clearances to trees - wires - fences - other rides. I operate the ride and check the RPMs to make sure that it is within the manufacture’s guidelines. Then there's the State sticker that tells me that Cal/OSHA has inspected and approved the ride.

The list of corrections that I have written includes the wrong size cotter key to no emergency lighting in the Gravitron.

Here is a picture of a Gravitron. It is a sealed ride that spins. Once at speed (24 rpm) the occupant is suspended and plastered against the wall (3 Gs) with no contact with the floor. If the electricity is cut the door will not open until someone from outside the ride pulls it down. The first time I encountered this ride I asked about emergency lighting while the occupants wait to exit (in total darkness). I was told that it didn't come from the factory with emergency lighting and I can't make them alter a ride. Besides that, it had a State sticker. I've run into several of these and they always leave town with emergency lighting.

48114763752_3197596d93_b.jpg

If you have to inspect one of these be aware that the slide that the occupant is on should have intact feet protection plates behind the slide. If they are missing, a persons legs can be caught and broken when the ride slows down. For that reason you must make them lift every slide. The slides are heavy, it's hot inside that can and there's 48 slides. I have found missing/cracked plates.

The next ride is a Dragon Wagon kids roller coaster. There are several versions that differ in the method of propulsion. Some have a chain drive and others have an electric motor behind the seat in the last car. A week before I encountered my first Dragon Wagon I watched a 20/20 episode on a carnival accident where a girl was scalped when her long hair was caught in the electric motor. She lost her entire scalp and it was not reattached. So now I have that same ride with no protection of the motor. As horrific as that accident was, the carnival operator resisted fabricating a shroud over the motor. I was disappointed, he was disappointed and the ride now has a shroud over the motor.

48114735773_c25a6753f0_b.jpg

Another thing to look for with the Dragon Wagon is the rails that it rides on. These machines are old. The rail will have repairs. The welds are sometimes amateurish. I have found cracks in welds. I always require that the part be taken to an LA City certified welding facility for repair. I have posted carnival pictures here at the forum....I think that's one of them.

There was a large ride that has swing seats on long chains. It was fast and as it rotated it would tilt back and forth producing one Hell of a ride. When it got up to speed I noticed that that at each revolution there was a loud sound ....... like someone hitting an empty garbage can with an ax handle. I asked, "What's up with that?" He shrugged as he said, "It started happening last weekend in West Covina". A heads up with this swing ride. If the restraint belt or the chain is worn I ask them to remove that swing and a corresponding swing on the opposit side to maintain a balanced machine.

It didn't take much effort to remove this seat belt strap.

48115104573_44364f2924_b.jpg

48115104998_9835ac295a_b.jpg

In the fifty or so that I have inspected I guess the average carnival results in twenty corrections.....some more some less. One year the carnival operators banded together and threatened to boycott the city I was working in unless a different inspector took over. The city declined ... preferring instead to have a safe carnival. I really shouldn't say safe carnival.

It takes hours to do it right. I never leave with a good feeling that I caught everything.

Last edited: