• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessibility and Exterior Lighting

north star

Sawhorse
> > > *

I have an existing structure ( Mil. Barracks ), and there
is a proposal to create a Parking lot for these barracks,
on the other side of a Public Way.........Accessibility
parking, ...Signage, and fully marked ( painted ) Access

Route; across the public way, to the main entrance are
the givens.

My main question is: What about MOE, exterior lighting ?
Is there a requirement in the Accessibility Codes &
Standards, for more than 1 ft. candle listed in Section
1008 of the IBC ?

The applicable Codes & Standards are: the ABA, ...the
Unified Facilities Criteria, ...the `15 I-Codes
and `09 A117.1 ( i.e. - increased foot candles for
Accessibility ) ?

Thanks for any input ! :)

* < < <

ABA Accessibility Standards
F208.3.1 General. Parking spaces
2. Parking spaces shall be permitted to be located in different parking facilities if substantially equivalent or greater accessibility is provided in terms of distance from an accessible entrance or entrances, parking fee, and user convenience.

Advisory F208.3.1 General Exception 2. Factors that could affect "user convenience" include, but are not limited to, protection from the weather, security, lighting, and comparative maintenance of the alternative parking site.

Based on the Advisory, some, with low vision issues, could complain that 1 footcandle is not enough. but I know of no requirement to increase it.

Consider it a best practices and an acceptable alternate methods and means; also consider risk management (who will be the site operator?)

$ ~ $

Thanks for the input so far !

This particular project IS on a current & active military
base..........I was asked to assist in evaluating the lighting
requirements for the "across the street, new Parking Lot".
Accessibility requirements will apply, however, not the ADA.
The applicable Accessibility Codes & Standards are the ABA
& the `09 A117.1.

If it is decided to apply the Security requirements of the UFC
3-530-01, then the minimum foot candle amount would be 2
ft. candles.

FWIW, ...the military is wanting Chapter & Verse of the
"requirements" before directing the RDP's to design
something.

This is good stuff ya`ll.........Keep it coming !
:D

$ ~ $

I think that the foot candle should be removed from the code. It is old terminology. Should be something more suitable like Lumens.

I think that the foot candle should be removed from the code. It is old terminology. Should be something more suitable like Lumens.
Foot candle is the US Standard for illuminance.

If the US would go to the SI standard (Lux for illuminance), that would be interesting.

Lumens-vs-Lux.jpg

One footcandle is a little over 10 lux. As Ty J's illustration shows, it's the lumens per square foot (or meter) that counts.