• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Why RDPs are required to go through municipal plan review

I am not a "SJW" but unlike you "C", am not so old and bitter as to accept that the times they are a changing.
Yes there are some bad apples in every barrel. Yes codes, laws and regulations are often written by those who are not concerned with unintended consequences. You feel so strongly, attend the open comment sessions at CBSC or the legislature and take issue.

I'm late to this long-running thread. I got my architect's license at age 28, the youngest in my graduating class to do so (as far as I know).
My first reaction was relief that it was "over", and my second reaction was mild fear. I was aware that I really didn't know that much about architecture, and yet I was just given permission to design and stamp just about every kind of project except bridges and hospitals, etc. Who else out there had designed the buildings that I already lived, worked and shopped in, without really knowing what they were doing?

That's when I realized a stamp didn't really mean anything except that you knew how to go to school and take tests. What really counts is your personal sense of professional responsibility: giving it your best, not being afraid to ask questions, knowing when to bring in other experts to help with your limitations, constantly applying "lessons learned" (hopefully from other people's mistakes!), etc., eventually building up to years of technical experience and (hopefully) wisdom that adds value for my clients and safety for the public.

I once read that the average age of the engineers on the Hoover Dam project was 28. As the dam filled, they started getting minor earthquakes in the area, and they eventually realized it was from the weight of the water bending the earth's crust! Imagine the sense of personal responsibility if that had ultimately gone wrong - - destruction of the southwest on a scale so much larger than Mulholland's San Fransiquio dam collapse.

So you have to take your profession seriously, especially as it relates to life safety. I have no problem with plan checkers or other peer reviewers looking over my work, as long as (a) they do it in a timely manner, and (b) they generally know what they are talking about, and (c) they actually review the plans, as opposed to just spitting out boilerplate plan check responses.

I'm late to this long-running thread. I got my architect's license at age 28, the youngest in my graduating class to do so (as far as I know).
My first reaction was relief that it was "over", and my second reaction was mild fear. I was aware that I really didn't know that much about architecture, and yet I was just given permission to design and stamp just about every kind of project except bridges and hospitals, etc. Who else out there had designed the buildings that I already lived, worked and shopped in, without really knowing what they were doing?

That's when I realized a stamp didn't really mean anything except that you knew how to go to school and take tests. What really counts is your personal sense of professional responsibility: giving it your best, not being afraid to ask questions, knowing when to bring in other experts to help with your limitations, constantly applying "lessons learned" (hopefully from other people's mistakes!), etc., eventually building up to years of technical experience and (hopefully) wisdom that adds value for my clients and safety for the public.

I once read that the average age of the engineers on the Hoover Dam project was 28. As the dam filled, they started getting minor earthquakes in the area, and they eventually realized it was from the weight of the water bending the earth's crust! Imagine the sense of personal responsibility if that had ultimately gone wrong - - destruction of the southwest on a scale so much larger than Mulholland's San Fransiquio dam collapse.

So you have to take your profession seriously, especially as it relates to life safety. I have no problem with plan checkers or other peer reviewers looking over my work, as long as (a) they do it in a timely manner, and (b) they generally know what they are talking about, and (c) they actually review the plans, as opposed to just spitting out boilerplate plan check responses.

My vote for best post of this thread. Thank you for sharing.

I have no problem with oversight ... as long as it is well intended and not just a source of criticism. And if the overseer is competent, i can accept a lot of corrections. Thats one of my pet peeves with auditors ... they tell you what you are doing wrong, but they dont know how to do it right. They apply the rules with no knowledge of why they exist.

Just failed three plan reviews of stamped plans from different architects in a row for additions to small commercial buildings that did not give basic information like what codes used, egress plans, occupant load, use, type of construction, site plans, and no information at all about the existing building they are adding too. After adopting the codes 15 years ago I don't understand why I still get this stuff.

This has happened many times before but I expected to stop by now. I can just ask for what I mentioned what is missing above but I know there will be still things missing, So I have made a 6 page letter a while ago (upgrading as codes change) that I have used many times that asks for just about everything I can think of to try to get these plans through the review.

Just failed three plan reviews of stamped plans from different architects in a row for additions to small commercial buildings that did not give basic information like what codes used, egress plans, occupant load, use, type of construction, site plans, and no information at all about the existing building they are adding too. After adopting the codes 15 years ago I don't understand why I still get this stuff.

This has happened many times before but I expected to stop by now. I can just ask for what I mentioned what is missing above but I know there will be still things missing, So I have made a 6 page letter a while ago (upgrading as codes change) that I have used many times that asks for just about everything I can think of to try to get these plans through the review.

We had similar feelings. The only conclusion we could come to is that they keep doing this because it works in a lot of places. Someone sees a stamp then signs a permit and off they go.

Rather than a letter, what about passing out a sample cover page for the drawing set?

In most states, as an RDP, are you allowed to:

Have a general contractor come to you with a hand drawn plan on letter size that the contractor themselves drew and stamp it?

So I have made a 6 page letter a while ago (upgrading as codes change) that I have used many times that asks for just about everything I can think of to try to get these plans through the review.
LA Building and Safety has standard correction lists for typical projects, such as multifamily housing. Since there are so many plan checkers that check all boxes without even looking at the plans, we offer our clients a service where we print out their correction list (available on their website) and "pre-plancheck" it ourselves, writing our responses as to where the "corrections" can already be found on the plans. We turn this in with the initial plan check, effectively already doing the plan checkers work for them (with the exception of structural reviews).

Have a general contractor come to you with a hand drawn plan on letter size that the contractor themselves drew and stamp it?

Off-topic, it reminds me of a story when I was in 3rd year of architecture school, decades ago. A contractor paid me to prepare plans for a simple home addition - - the kind that (in the days before energy calcs and seismic analysis) could be easily reviewed and approved over the counter. I wanted to impress everyone with my drawing skills so I prepared a fully detailed set of 24" x 36" plans.

The county of LA plan checker told me it would be a minimum 30 day plan check, which would've screwed up the owner's schedule. I reported this to the contractor, who summoned me back to his office. Reviewing the plans, he said that my plans looked "too good" and were causing the county to make too big of a deal for such a simple remodel. He had me redraw just the basics (no details), by hand, not really to scale, on a few pieces of yellow 8.5" x 11" notepad paper. Then he told me to go back on another day, see a different plan checker, and pull these sketchy plans out of my student backpack, acting as if I was the son of the homeowner and had no clue what to do next. He said they would approve it quick, just to get rid of me.

It worked. The new plan checker looked at it, explained to me that they had a standard set of [Type V] details for homeowners; he stapled it to my plan, and I was out of there in less than an hour.

Why not? The aor stamp says you certify the design meets all codes, it doesn’t certify you drew it. As long as all the information is clearly and correctly shown.

That happens here with one engineer in particular. Most of the time, the contractors that sketch up what he is stamping are very reputable and want it done their way, rather than value engineering it.

Having worked in large and small Architectural Offices for over thirty years, I can tell you that most of the actual working drawings are done by NON-Licensed individuals. They usually do the best they can but do not have the expertise a "RDP" may have. Unless there is an in-house review drawings go out, stamped, in a haphazard condition.
There is a time restraint. Every minute you spend on that project, cost the firm money. Getting it submitted gets them the money to may payroll , "We will fix it later, when there is more time".
Some companies rely on the governmental plan checker to do the back check.
Plan checking is crucial.

I will once again say "Plan checking is crucial". Every day I get Sealed and Signed drawings by State licensed design "professionals" that do not come close in meeting the code.

We (including other BOs in the area) have a 85+ engineer that will stamp anything you bring him, including Blank sheets inserted into sets.

Had an architect the other day that complained that I was being to mean by requiring the plans show code conformance. His attitude was give me a permit and let them figure it out in the field.

2016 CBC 107.2.1 Information on construction documents
Construction documents shall be dimensioned and drawn upon suitable material. Electronic media documents are permitted to be submitted when approved by the building official. Construction documents shall be of sufficient clarity to indicate the location, nature and extent of the work proposed and show in detail that it will conform to the provisions of this code and relevant laws, ordinances, rules and regulations, as determined by the building official.

Why not? The aor stamp says you certify the design meets all codes, it doesn’t certify you drew it. As long as all the information is clearly and correctly shown.
Washington State is a bit different. Design professionals are required to prepare or have reasonable charge over those who prepare the plans.

RCW 18.08.370 (ARCHITECTS)
Issuance of certificates of registration—Seal, use.

(1) The director shall issue a certificate of registration to any applicant who has, to the satisfaction of the board, met all the requirements for registration upon payment of the registration fee as provided in this chapter. All certificates of registration shall show the full name of the registrant, have the registration number, and shall be signed by the chair of the board and by the director. The issuance of a certificate of registration by the director is prima facie evidence that the person named therein is entitled to all the rights and privileges of a registered architect.
(2) Each registrant shall obtain a seal of the design authorized by the board bearing the architect's name, registration number, the legend "Registered Architect," and the name of this state. All technical submissions prepared by an architect and filed with public authorities must be sealed and signed by the architect. It is unlawful to seal and sign a document after a registrant's certificate of registration or authorization has expired, been revoked, or is suspended.
(3) An architect may seal and sign technical submissions under the following conditions:

(a) An architect may seal and sign technical submissions that are: Prepared by the architect; prepared by the architect's regularly employed subordinates; prepared in part by an individual or firm under a direct subcontract with the architect; or prepared in collaboration with an architect who is licensed in a jurisdiction recognized by the board, provided there is a contractual agreement between the architects.
(b) An architect may seal and sign technical submissions based on prototypical documents provided: The architect obtains written permission from the architect who prepared or sealed the prototypical documents, and from the legal owner to adapt the prototypical documents; the architect thoroughly analyzes the prototypical documents, makes necessary revisions, and adds all required elements and design information, including the design services of engineering consultants, if warranted, so that the prototypical documents become suitable complete technical submissions, in compliance with applicable codes, regulations, and site-specific requirements.
(c) An architect who seals and signs the technical submissions under this subsection (3) is responsible to the same extent as if the technical submissions were prepared by the architect.
RCW 18.43.070 (ENGINEERS)
Certificates and seals.

The board shall issue a certificate of registration upon payment of a registration fee as provided for in this chapter, to any applicant who, in the opinion of the board, has satisfactorily met all the requirements of this chapter. In case of a registered engineer, the certificate shall authorize the practice of "professional engineering" and specify the branch or branches in which specialized, and in case of a registered land surveyor, the certificate shall authorize the practice of "land surveying."

In case of engineer-in-training, the certificate shall state that the applicant has successfully passed the examination in fundamental engineering subjects required by the board and has been enrolled as an "engineer-in-training." In case of land-surveyor-in-training, the certificate shall state that the applicant has successfully passed the examination in fundamental surveying subjects required by the board and has been enrolled as a "land-surveyor-in-training." All certificates of registration shall show the full name of the registrant, shall have a serial number, and shall be signed by the chair and the secretary of the board and by the director.

The issuance of a certificate of registration by the board shall be prima facie evidence that the person named therein is entitled to all the rights and privileges of a registered professional engineer or a registered land surveyor, while the said certificate remains unrevoked and unexpired.

Each registrant hereunder shall upon registration obtain a seal of the design authorized by the board, bearing the registrant's name and the legend "registered professional engineer" or "registered land surveyor." Plans, specifications, plats, and reports prepared by the registrant shall be signed, dated, and stamped with said seal or facsimile thereof. Such signature and stamping shall constitute a certification by the registrant that the same was prepared by or under his or her direct supervision and that to his or her knowledge and belief the same was prepared in accordance with the requirements of the statute. It shall be unlawful for anyone to stamp or seal any document with said seal or facsimile thereof after the certificate of registrant named thereon has expired or been revoked, unless said certificate shall have been renewed or reissued.

Back in the UBC days a local Architect complained about the time frame for our plan reviews and the BO gave him the option to send it to a third party for an expedited review at his expense.
The third party plans examiner requested the "minimum critical radiant flux" rating of his finished plain concrete floor. He never complained about our plan reviews after that experience.

Back in the UBC days a local Architect complained about the time frame for our plan reviews and the BO gave him the option to send it to a third party for an expedited review at his expense.
The third party plans examiner requested the "minimum critical radiant flux" rating of his finished plain concrete floor. He never complained about our plan reviews after that experience.
Karma is a Bit*h

About 10 years ago a senior man came in on a cane who is an certified architect came and asked what I was reading. I said "the International Building Code".
He said "let me see it, I never saw one".

I hope he is retired by now.

I use a cane but it wasn't me!

I recognize that the favorite sport of plan checkers and inspectors is to bash architects and engineers. Please note that architects and engineers could match you one for one with examples of plan checkers and inspectors that got it wrong.

I suggest that we should focus on the question of whether the submission complies with the adopted regulations.
Just a comment, in So. CA, most Plan Checkers and BO's ARE Architects and Engineers.

Last edited: